Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 11:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%
Default Lab results back - more questions

I went to the doctor on Monday and had my insulin levels checked, cholesterol, diabetes, they all came back NORMAL! I am very surprised, because I have PCOS I thought I was insulin resistant. TSPII also made me think I am insulin resitant. I am taking a very, very low dosage of metformin for almost a year and I am wondering if that has made a difference.

Now I need to reread the book and place myself at insulin sensitive with healthy adrenal glands. I'm afraid I'm going to gain 50 pounds if I eat that many carbs though.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Pianobeiner
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 12:03

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Pianobeiner, how long have you been low-carbing? It has a dramatic affect on all those numbers, even after a relatively short time. Also, did you take any tests before you started low-carbing to use as a comparison?

For me, I've been low-carbing for 1 1/2 years. I started out with my only indicator being my fasting blood sugar of 138 taken before I started. My first cholesterol test was taken after I had been low-carbing for 3 months and was excellent, and my fasting bloodsugar had only dropped to 135.

After about 9 months, my "average" bloodsugar was 109. At least that's what my doctor said (I'm guessing at some "real-world" conversion of the Ha1c test), I didn't get a chance to see the results myself. She did say that there was no longer any hint of diabetes in my numbers.

As far as PCOS, when I started low-carbing, I was on the pill since just after my first set of tests, but my period had been so irregular throughout my life that I had never had even two that could be called "regular." I have gone as long as 3 years between periods, but the last year before I started low-carbing, I essentially had a year-long period (i.e. constant bleeding) and thought I was going to have to have a hysterectomy.

About 11 months ago, I quit taking the pill and have now had 10 regular periods -- my cycle is running 31 to 35 days -- and I feel better off the pill than on. So you could say that my PCOS cleared up after about 6 months, but it's hard to say. And of course, I don't need a hysterectomy.

As far as insulin resitant, I don't think that's really cured for me yet. I'm still very sensitive to carbs, feel them, put on weight when I eat too many. I think that may be a better indicator of your insulin resistance. I think your numbers will look normal simply because you are not eating carbs to bring them up. It seems to me the real test of insulin resistance would be to measure your insulin response to carbs.

HTH,
;-Deb
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 15:43

Good point, I have been low carbing for a long time. The original doctor who dx me did not take blood tests on my insulin just cholesterol, my cholesterol was borderline a year ago. Now it's fine.

Maybe I'm healing!

Pianobeiner
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 17:10

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I believe you are! Isn't low-carbing grand!

;-Deb
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 18:13
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Pianobeiner:

That's fabulous news!!!!

Quote:
Now I need to reread the book and place myself at insulin sensitive with healthy adrenal glands. I'm afraid I'm going to gain 50 pounds if I eat that many carbs though.

Yes, I can see you'd be a bit worried. Just in case, I'll state the obvious.... maybe try going through the healing program part of the IR/HA program so you can gradually increase your carbs up to the IS/HA level. I can't remember off the top of my head, but that program starts at 20 grams X 5 meals and then moves up to 30 grams X 5 meals, something like that right?... so move through the healing part of your program until you can jump to the IS/HA program. You can gauge as you go along the program how you'll respond best.

Wow, Piano, ya done good!

Having said that...
Quote:
I think your numbers will look normal simply because you are not eating carbs to bring them up. It seems to me the real test of insulin resistance would be to measure your insulin response to carbs.

I'm no expert, but Deb makes a really good point. I guess the best indicator would be to high carb several days before the test if you really wanted to know for sure.

Wanda
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 07:56

Default TSP REALLY DOES WORK!!!!

Thanks Wanda, I'm am so incredibly shocked and happy the more I think about it. It took less than a year to heal my metabolism and my insulin resistance. No wonder I have been feeling so good over the past few months, *duh.*

Quote:
I guess the best indicator would be to high carb several days before the test if you really wanted to know for sure.

Okay, I am still proceeding with caution and rereading the book while placing myself in a new category. I guess when I answered a lot of her questions in the book I put myself in the Insulin Resistant category because most of my adult life that's where I have fit.

Pianobeiner
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 08:18

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%

Pianobeiner - AWESOME NEWS!!!! I am so glad to hear you are feeling better! I love this plan. I feel better every day! Congrats on the healing, keep it up!!

-Denisebeiner