Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 10:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%
Question New member...Induction going slowly

Hello, I've been doing the Atkins Induction phase for 6 days now. The first three days showed a 5 lb. loss; the next day I weighed in with a 3 lb. gain. Haven't dropped any since. I'm faithful to the plan, no cheats, but I have had serious headaches the second day, and now again today. Also, haven't made any trips to the bathroom in a few days, so I will find a remedy for that right away. Other than that, does anyone have any idea what's going on?

I'm very glad to have found this forum because I know how much I will need support! This is not an easy switch to make, as I have been living a low-fat life for several years - but couldn't drop one ounce that actually stayed off for more than a few days. I am hoping to find a new way of getting this weight off. These are desparate days.

Thanks for your help!

D.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 10:46

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

The first 2 weeks are always the hardest

You body is adjusting to a new fuel source and you are detoxing your system.

You didn't say how much water you are drinking. Minimum you should be drinking a day is 64oz plus 8 oz for ever 25 pounds you want to lose. It sounds like a lot of liquid however if you were use to drinking 5 or 6 cans of pop/soda a day that is around 64 oz

Nothing replaces water I might add. If you are drinking coffee, tea, diet sodas...you still need to drink 64 oz of pure water. (hydrating your system will also help with the bathroom problem)

It takes water and lots of it to flush the fat out of their storage compartment. So drink up!

#3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-02, 02:59

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

High D and welcome to this forum.

I also used to be a low fat dieter and this way is just great - you loose weight, you eats lots and you never feel hungry.

I agree with what agonycat says. Have you joined Fitday.com ? This is a great way to keep track of what you are eating and to ensure that you have enough calories each day. You might also like to keep a journal on this site, see sticky at the top of this forum. It is a great way to keep a track of your progress, a great motivator, and a place where others can drop in and say hi.

Every success for the future.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-02, 08:09
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

For your bathroom "problem", have a look at the article on intestinal health in low-carb tips at the top of the page.

LC is a huge adjustment for your body to make, especially if you've been low-fatting it. Be consistent and your body will trust that you're not starving it and thank you by losing fat!

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-02, 10:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Hello again...and thank you all for your replies. I'm still being faithful, and am still at the 5 lb. loss for the first full week. I can't complain. The bathroom issue has largely resolved itself as well, but I am increasing my water in any case. I drink quite a bit as it is.

One question I have is about the keto sticks. I have never registered in the positive on any of those things, not last time I tried Atkins and not now. I'm only eating meats, some cheese, eggs, have whipping cream in my coffee, etc. Haven't had one single thing off the list. Is it possible that some people just don't register? My friend used the same batch of sticks and she had a little pink, so I know they're ok.

Anyhow, off to week 2...I'm really striving to lose at least something noticeable by May 24th when I graduate. I know I'll be in some pictures and the thought just plain scares me.

Thanks again for the support of this forum and good luck to all.

D.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-02, 13:00
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Keto sticks are a bad indicator of weight loss as they register dietary fat as well. And the more water you drink, the lighter the indication will be, sometimes nothing.

A better indicator of ketosis is an odd taste in your mouth. And a better way to check inches/fat lost is to use an article of clothing that you would like to fit into. Chuck the scale!

If you have a history of yo-yo dieting, it takes a while for your body to learn to trust how you're feeding it. Once trust is established, you're off!

Are you eating any vegetables at all?

Karen