Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 23:43

Plan: Atkins- OWL/Pre-M
Stats: 165/144/140 Female 70 inches (5' 10")
BF:30%/19.28%/19%?
Progress: 84%
Question Suggestions and Input for OWL ???

Hi! First thank you to everyone who's been such help and great support on this forum.

On Sunday I will begin my 8th week on Atkins. I am currently at 25g carbs/week and have added nuts and berries, protein drinks and occassional Atkin's protein bars. I haven't had any cravings kick up and can hardly stand the sweetness of the Atkins protein bars (usually only eat 1/2 a bar because I'm out and need something to get me through until I can have real food). I don't even add splenda to anything that I thought I would want it in ... such as whipping cream. (Thank goodness no sweet cravings... that's a miracle!) My weight loss has been at about 1lb/week since I started OWL. I'm fine with that ... though of course I'd love it to be more! I'm considering upping my carbs again another 5gs. Does it sound like a good time to do that?. Also, I'd like some input on what others have had the best results with adding as far as foods go at this point in OWL.
Thanks!
Lori
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 12:53
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

As long as your still losing, keep uping the carbs Go until you stop losing to find your CCL then back off. While it may seem scary tha tyour weight loss may slow down, having it slow for a week or two isn't that much of a time chunk compaired to the rest of your life.

Slowly upping your calrbs will also help prevent water retention that comes with alot of carbs at once. You may still retain some, so try at least 2 weeks at a new carb level before deciding to back down. I think you should raise it just to add variety into your menus. Plus you can get the last of the summer fruit before winter hits (Not to mention pumpkins and squash now that fall is here).

Along with the nuts and berries, get creative with veggies. You can buy edamama which are green soy beans, precooked in the produce isle. They make an interesting snack and are almost sweet tasting. Black soy beans in the can are extreamly Lc and make good mexican dishes.

Add in cottage cheese for a new protien source. You can also add back in whole milk yogurt (Get plain with 5 or more active bacterias, stay away from Dannon). Stoneyfield farms and Mountain High are good brands. Yogurt carries alot of healthy bacterias and added calcium which can aid weight loss

You might also try LaTortilla tortillas. They are 2 net carbs and amazing. Wasa crackers are also good. They have 10 net carbs per cracker, but they are the size of a gram cracker so half of one is more then enough.

Add in coconut as well. I love coconut stir fried with shrimp and broccoli. You can also use it in dessert type dishes, mixed with yogurt, or just get creative Make sure to get unsweetened. You may have to go to a health food store for it.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 15:02

Plan: Atkins- OWL/Pre-M
Stats: 165/144/140 Female 70 inches (5' 10")
BF:30%/19.28%/19%?
Progress: 84%

LadyBelle,
Thank you so much for your suggestions! I always like to ask someone's who's blazed the trail before me for input. I appreciate the time you took to post such an indepth response.