Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 07:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/182/140 Female 62 in
BF:
Progress: 2%
Default Atkins to ???

I have been on Atkins with some success for a while, but recently had to go off my Zocor because of liver problems with it. While I was taking Zocor all of the fat on the Atkins plan had no bad effect on my cholesterol values. Since going off the medication, my cholesterol values are terrible and I am going to have to find a way to cut down on saturated fat. Because I like the low carb WOE I'm looking for a not so high carb diet that is no more than 30% fat, and the Zone appears to fit that wish. However, I have been given a book about a plan called the Formula that is a 30-40-30 plan and I'm curious if anyone here knows about it and how it differs from the Zone.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 15:41
Registered Member

Plan: 40-30-30
Stats: 232/164/170 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 110%

Hi BDavis -
I read an earlier incarnation of the "Formula" (a short volume written by the same folks that they put out before this one that just gave a basic sketch of 40-30-30). Unless a lot has changed in their thinking since them, the authors are pretty much in tune with what Sears does with the Zone. The Daousts (I think that's their name?) actually worked with Sears in developing the Zone and so they seem to be on similar wavelengths. The Daousts do a better job at breaking things down so the plan is a little easier to understand and follow and from what I've seen, their recipes seem to be a little more practical. This is a great place to start - you may want to look into some of Sear's publications down the road in you're interested in things like doing 40-30-30 as a vegetarian. It's also interesting to read into the science a little more in his books. The Zone Blocks volume can also be a great reference.
Good luck to you! I'm absoultely loving this WOE - I hope it's as positive for you!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 16:25
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks so much for the info--I need to do a little homework now!
Brenta
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 08:20

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Hi!

I just switched to the Zone from Atkins. I have the formula book, and the recipes in it are really good. (Except for the chocolate pudding - ewwww!) The cheesecake is killer, and their shakes and stuff are awesome. The eating plan is pretty much 100% the zone, although they have a more simplified way to figure out how much you should eat. Good Luck!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 14:16
Registered Member

Stats: 225/154/125
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default "The Formula"?

Is that the actual name of the book you are all talking about? You peaked my interest because of the recipes. I have been off the Zone for a little while now because of the cooking.

My son is a picky eater and my husband wants certain foods and then there's me on the Zone. I got tired of making 3 different meals day in and day out.

I really want to get back to it though and need to find some easier recipes and ideas.

Thanks
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 14:40
Registered Member

BF:

The name of the book is the Formula by the authors mentioned a couple of posts ago. It is a little easier than the Zone but I don't find any of it as easy as Atkins! Someone told me about the South Beach Diet which is somewhere between Atkins and the Zone. I've ordered the book so I'll see when it comes. I'm afraid the Zone doesn't work well for me--too many carbs I think. I just haven't lost any weight--at least I'm not gaining!
Brenta