Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 19:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 416/369/185 Male 5 ft. 8 in.
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Eat with the FLU?

What does one do when you have the flu and can't eat anything?
How do you keep from going into starvation mode?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 19:14

Stats: 203.5/163/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 52%

I know it's hard, but you have to eat even if you are sick. There are some soup recipes in the recipe section. You could have some sugar-free jello which is cool on the throat. You could get a roasted chicken already cooked from the deli of the supermarket and pick at it. Cucumber is pretty easy to get down when you're sick also. And don't forget to drink lots of water
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 19:26

Stats: 150/150/125 Female 5'4"
BF:49/24/??
Progress: 0%

When I was sick last week, I had chicken broth, you could also have beef broth.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 20:58

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I know it's hard, but you have to eat even if you are sick.

Not necessarily. If you're vomiting, forcing yourself to eat will likely only irritate your stomach more and prolong the vomiting. It takes more than a day or two of not eating to send you into starvation mode, so take it easy and eat as and when your stomach can tolerate.
The most important thing when you have a bug that is causing you to vomit is to make sure that you don't get dehyrdrated...sips of water or even ice chips can help with that. Sugar-free popsicles are also handy for getting fluids into you slowly (the trick is to sip, not gulp, or those fluids are going to bounce out of your stomach like they hit a trampoline!). You can also make a sugar-free version of Gatorade by using unsweetened Kool-Aid, Splenda and 1 tsp. table salt, 1/4 tsp. potassium chloride salt substitute for every quart of fluid. When my oldest daughter was 2 1/2, she got a nasty rotovirus and vomited for 6 days straight; lost 20% of her body weight in that short time. Since you can't explain to a child that young that gulping liquid is a bad idea when you're vomiting and they're very thirsty to boot, we found that giving her drinks from a medicine cup every 15 minutes worked very well along with the ice chips and small pieces of popsicle.
Once your stomach settles down enough for you to feel like eating again, start slow and easy; clear broths, sugar-free Jello, caffeine-free sugar-free pop, etc... If your stomach tolerates that, then go for more solid food but it's still wise to avoid dairy, spices and caffeine for a few days afterwards.
Hope you feel better soon!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 21:02
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I ate sf jello, a few low carb crackers when feeling nausea,alot of water and fruit2o, and homeade broth. This forum has got me threw some tough times.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 07:38

Stats: 268/200/190 Male 5'9
BF:28%/14%/8%
Progress: 87%

I was sick last week. (Strept throat)
All I could eat was chicken and beef broth and Osolo Low carb rolls with butter.

It worked....