Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 11:42

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Post Induction Questions...

The 2 weeks of Induction has passed for me and I've shed a total of about 8 lbs. Wow! After weighing myself this morning, I'm in completely stunned. It really does seem too good to be true especially since in the past with a low fat high carb diet and running 30 minutes per day, I'd lose at most 1.5 - 2 lbs per week. During these 2 weeks, I've basically eaten whatever I've wanted, whenever I've wanted--within the parameters of Induction of course--and NEVER counted calories and I've lost 8lbs! Forgive me, but I'm still in somewhat disbelief at how apparently easy this is to lose some needed weight.

Also, I'm glad to acknowledge that everyone here who stipulated the side effects will dissiapate with time is absolutely right--at least in my case. The first week, I was feeling nauseated, groggy, and even at times confused; however, I feel much better now and most of those side effects have gone. My only issue now is when going on my running, it does feel as if its much more of a struggle than what I've been used to.

I'm looking forward to adding some carbs and more variety into my diet. It is recommended adding only 5 grams of carbs per week; but, also, it is recommended for very active people to add up to 80 grams. I'm not sure what amount is right for me, but I am certain that I'm in the very active category. Usually, I run anywhere from 25 - 30 miles per week and really would appreciate some carbs making that trek less strenuous than it has been during the 2 weeks of Induction. Running on 20 carbs per day can be quite excrutiating, to put it mildly.

I'm not sure what to add and in what amounts, or if it is alright to forego the steady 5 gram addition and just jump up to, say, 50 grams. I plan to add both veggies and especially fruit, which I've missed--especially the potassium.

Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Frederick : Sat, Feb-15-03 at 11:46.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 12:20

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

Congratulations! I would suggest only adding 5-10g of carbs per week, not jumping to 50g immediately. As you slowly add carbs, you can see where you are when your weight loss stops and you're out of ketosis. That way you can adjust your carb intake more accurately. You may end up at 50g, but that may be too much so don't risk stalling and winding up discouraged. At least that's what I'd do anyway... Good luck finding that magic number that's right for you.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 12:23

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Dr. Atkins really doesn't recommend strenuous excercising such as what you've been doing during induction for the reasons that you experienced. It takes a couple of weeks for your body to get used to burning fat for energy instead of carbs.
I don't know if I'd recommend jumping right from induction to 50 grams of carb or more per day, especially if your goal is continued weight loss. You might try upping to 30 grams for the next week and see what happens.
If potassium is what you've been missing, you can either use a supplement or eat more veggies (yes, veggies) instead of fruit. Spinach, avocados and broccoli all contain much more potassium than a banana and are much lower in carbs and higher in other nutrients as well.
If you do decide to add fruit back in, start with berries such as strawberries, raspberries and blueberries as well as melons such as honeydew or canteloupe. All of those are lower in carbs and lower on the glycemic index than apples, oranges or bananas and higher in antioxidants too.