Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 07:06

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Protein Power Pals: Saturday, April 3

Good morning!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 07:24

BF:

Scale is still at 166. I don't know if 2 weeks is enough to try a new plan or not. I'm thinking maybe not. I'm also thinking that even though this is supposed to work with whatever you want to eat for your reward meal (as long as it's balanced), I need to rein in a little more.

Here's what I had:
Breakfast: Large piece of hamburger quiche
Lunch: Can of tuna with 1 Tbsp mayo and celery
Dinner: Porterhouse steak (8 oz?), 1.5 cups green beans, 2 cups Romaine/spinach salad with 2 Tbsp dressing, 1 slice cheesecake
This came to just under 2500 calories (yikes!), 58 ECC, and 161 grams protein.

OK. Reality check. That's too much protein for me. That's too much protein for Ahnold! It's funny, because it sure didn't seem like I was eating a lot of protein throughout the day (except for the steak).

And way too much fat.

This is eye-opening, because during the day I feel like I'm hardly eating at all. The quiche is VERY high fat, though, at 750 calories and 66 grams of fat. (I don't think I'll be making it again for a while, or at least I'll modify the recipe.) I had over 1100 calories before dinner!

Need I say that I'll be modifying a wee bit this week?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 08:07

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Good morning Bawdy!

I down to 211(this is on my scale at home which was around 224 pre op, the 229 was the scale at work) on the scale post-op. Don't want to change any numbers yet in case it doesn't last.I'm just starting to get an appetite back.

Just eating small portions, I seem to need a little more carb to heal, so I added a small amount of brown rice to my pork stirfry last night. Helped with, ahem, moving things a long, which is a post op problem.

It will take me a while to catch up with everyone's WOEs. I am only at the computer a few brief times a day. I am still pretty fatigued, so pardon me if I sort of just jump on here to say Hi.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 08:11

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Today is my measurement day. I weighed 149. After spending the last 3 months not gaining or losing inches, I gained 1.75" last week alone! So now I am back where I was in December. How depressing, but I have to get over it. The damage has been done and crying about it won't change anything. Also, I started that cardio workout yesterday. Does anyone know if I should expect a slight gain as my body adjusts to the exercise? I think Renee often reports a gain of water when she's exercised intensely. The increase in inches is definitely from my poor eating on vacation, and boy am I ever feeling it in my clothes. So, I am back on track. I am going to try a week of strict calories, less than 1300 to try to get myself moving in the right direction. I don't think I can just jump back into what I used to do before CAD, b/c that had me maintaining, not losing. So I have to get this weight off first, then should be able to go back to 1400 cals per day.

Something else I feel like I need to commit to is the complete removal of all artificial sweeteners and caffeine from my diet. Both seem to cause an insulin release in me, b/c I get sooooo cravy after eating them. I just finished a breakfast without both and actually feel content. So as much as I like my gum, green tea, and daVinci's, I know they are not best for me. Now that I've made public these commitments, hopefully I will be more likely to stick to them. I don't think it will be too hard, though, if I realize that I feel better without them.

Bawdy-I was having similar findings with CAD, shocked at how high my calories were most days. At first it didn't seem to affect me, but that third week was what really did it in for me. Now, you may have a different experience, b/c you do seem to be balancing your RM a bit better than I did. I do think 2 weeks isn't enough time to really tell how you are responding to something to new, like you said. You are having more patience than I did with making modifications. I just got too scared and felt too out of control that I had to go back to what I know. Keep us posted on it all
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 08:26
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

::::: quick waves and smiles:::::::::

On my way to the office.. have a darling day!

My bagel wasnt as happy as this..ha ha!

#6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 08:46

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 384/142/135 Female 5 ' 5 1/2 "
BF:
Progress: 97%

I didn't feel much like eating yesterday with this bladder infection. It was my daughters birthday party after school with her friends. I made heart shaped petit fours and we had a teddy bear tea party. I set the table with clear hostess plates and tea cups, pink rosebud placemats and cloth napkins, and they had strawberry cheesecake ice cream and pink lemonade. There were 5 girls and 1 boy, and they all loved it. My dh was home, so he helped me with it as did my two boys. I didn't even lick frosting from my fingers! I was strong!

My dh took me to Sizzler for dinner. I had lemon herbed chicken breast and skewered shrimp and broccoli. My dh ate my cheese toast. I am so suprized that I don't miss the carbs or sweets, but it doesn't really bother me.

Today is my daughters dance competition, then a family picnic.

Hope everyone has a great day!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 15:39

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Good afternoon It has been overcast and rainy the past few days, big change from the 90's/100's of just a few days ago. I find this weather makes me lazy, glad it doesn't happen often. I am planning on going the gym to do my cardio in a few mintues. I am also trying to learn patience I recently purchased a full length mirror that was quite an eye opener and well horrifying It really motivated me to get working because I wasn't liking what I was seeing. I have to admit that in the past 6 weeks I have made good progress as I can now look at myself in my string bikini undies and not be nearly as horrifed as before The ab classes have show remarkable results in the short time I have been going, even DH said he can already see the muscles starting to define themselves. This is very motivating to continue and I will need to be more patient about the other areas (arms & hips) as I am sure if I stick with it eventually I will see it there as well.

Wendy - Remember, one day at a time Start small and set realistic goals and you will be back to where you were in no time.

Elaine - So glad to here you are feeling better WTG on the scale!! I will pray hard that you keep it there. Take it easy.

Bawdy - Hang in there

to everyone
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 16:56

BF:

Sorry about the weather, Ellie. It's been cold and damp and dreary around here for as long as I can remember. And I've been cold since October!

And welcome back, Elaine! You've been missed.

Well, this morning I was of the mind that I'll keep doing CALP for at least another week or two. By early this afternoon, I was beginning to doubt the wisdom of this decision. Now it's almost 6:00 pm, and I'm convinced that it's out the window.

I just don't like the way I feel. I've felt kind of lousy for a couple weeks now (is it a coicidence that I started CALP two weeks ago?). I've been having a carby dessert every night for about the past week. When you buy a cake, it's not like you can have one slice and then not have any again for a week or two -- you eat it or waste your money.

So, yesterday I bought this wonderful chocolate cheesecake with like 2 inches of whipped cream and then chocolate shavings on top. The slice I had last night was heavenly. Then this morning DH had to go to Boston for a business trip and will be back tomorrow night. So this morning I woke up and all I could think about was the stupid cheesecake. Around 10:00 I caved, figuring I'll get the craving out of my head and be fine for the rest of the day. Around noon, I started feeling the first rumblings of the dreaded "gastric thunder."

So, then it's around 2:00 in the afternoon, I've had no breakfast or lunch, just the cheesecake. I'm not hungry. I'm running to the bathroom with cramps every few minutes. And I'm eating the last slice of cheesecake.

So now it's gone. So is CALP. Apparently it's not a good plan for me. I thought I could handle it, but I can't. It might work for others, but not for me.

So guess what, folks. I've made my decision. The only plan that makes scientific (and common) sense to me is Protein Power.

I know. A penetrating glimpse into the obvious.

Starting tomorrow morning, I am going back to my roots, as it were. It's where I started my low-carb journey.

I'm going to do my minimum protein (34 grams per meal), and spread my carbs throughout the day as recommended. That means 10 carbs for breakfast, 10 carbs for lunch, and 10 for dinner. If I want a snack, I take a few carbs from the next meal.

Tonight I'm curling up with the original PP book and re-reading (for about the 20th time) the pertinent information. The vast majority of carbs are going to come from veggies and fruits, not from dairy and cheese.

So, if you'll excuse me, I have some reading to do.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 21:36

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

hey guys!!

skiing was so much fun today. it was so sunny and warm we were skiing in our tee shirts. the snow was getting VERY slushy though, will probably be my last trip till next season.

hey bawdy.. i think 2 weeks is not enough time to see if something is working. it took me more then that to see my first results with PP. however, 2 weeks is deffinately enough time to know someting is making you feel bad. so i guess it is welcome back to PP!!

elaine...welcome home, glad to hear you are on the mend!!

i have been lacking in my fitday the past couple of days but here is what i ate today:

breakfast--coffee with cream and splenda, square of breakfast casserole.

lunch-- (on the mountain) turkey sandwich (lc bread, mustard, lettuce, cheese, turkey), diet coke, lc crunch bar (genasoy), beef jerky, and an orange.

snack-- 1 scoop of vanilla lc ice cream. (my favorite coffee shop on the mountain is now carrying ice cream(AND they have lc options), today it was so warm we got ice cream instead of coffee)

dinner-- beef, roast with auju (sp?) sauce, salad of lettuce, peppers and cheese with balsamic vinagar dressing.

well, i am off to watch uconn beat duke!! GO HUSKIES!!
(anybody else a college basketball fan? i am a uconn alumni so i gotta root for my team!!)
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-03-04, 22:21

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%

as a good girl today to make up for yesterday