Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 10:30

Plan: atkins
Stats: 228/228/126
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy help help I need motivation

I threaten to start the atkins diet again today, but still no luck. I have sat here and read some great stories and am so happy for those who are doing really well.
This morning I though right here goes, what shall I have, the thought of bacon , sausages, cheese, ham first thing in the morning made me want to throw up.Then I think of the effects it had on me last time I did this diet, palpatations, dizzy spells, headaches, constipation and the list goes on and I think is it all worth it.
YES YES YES, I know this diet works and it is the one for me, but I can't get motivated, I even called my GP this morning and asked him if it was ok for me to do this diet, I was hoping in a way he would say no, as that was the excuse I was looking for, but he said I cant see the problem. ( I have Lupus with underactive thyroid and kidney damage) I stood infront of the mirror and it was not a pretty sight and this morning at work I had to go to an upper floor of the building and was so out of breath.
I think I may have motivated myself just by writing all this down, I think I may need to write a journal.
well thanks for listening

Tina
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 10:40

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2

Tinaa - just remember the "nasty" stuff goes away, you may not even be affected. Also, as far as breakfast is concerned, you don't have to have traditional breakfast food, I'm not a big fan of breakfast - I have coffee, cheese and vitamins - sausages (esp. English bangers) can be eaten for lunch or dinner. Just think of how you felt and looked today at work and then think about how good you can feel and look with only a bit of effort - it's not like you're depriving yourself of food like so many other plans - think of it as a new WOL, you'll be so happy you're doing it. Keep close to this forum, it's a god send and good luck.

Vikki

I'm from the UK originally - where are you?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 10:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 177/145/135 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default eggs... blech!

I'm with you, there are times that I couldn't possibly eat another egg. So instead, I eat celery stuffed with cream cheese, or some cucumbers with cream cheese along with some bacon Sometimes I'll even have chicken for breakfast. Whoever made the rule that we had to eat eggs at breakfast??? Many times I think they are much more appealing late in the day, after I've gotten something in my stomach.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 11:05

Plan: General Low-Carb
Stats: 224/210/180 Female 5'6" (67.2")
BF:36.2%/33.9%/29.0%
Progress: 32%
Thumbs up Things will get better

Hi Tina,

I hope you are feeling a little bit better after venting. I've been at this for a while as well and i have fallen off the wagon a few times. I was in London almost 2 months ago visiting family and friends and when i got back, i just could not get back into the swing of things. At the same time i found it difficult eating the non legal foods. It took me almost a month to really get back my eating routine. Please don't beat yourself up, just take things slowly. You'll get there .
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 11:09

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Tina, starting a journal sounds like a great idea. You sound like you will be able to cajole yourself into this.

I know how it feels to have a crazy morning tummy, but you may start to find that you're actually hungry for fat and protein in the morning. I rarely ate breakfast before Atkins, but now I love eating hard boiled eggs and cheese or bacon and eggs or (in later phases) cottage cheese, berries, etc.

As for breakfast, be creative! Breakfast is just another meal and you can eat anything you might eat for lunch or dinner in the morning. This may seem weird, but you get used to it, honest! Try a bunless burger, coldcuts rolled up with cheese or cream cheese, or the famous forum favorite the Mock Danish! I also love these Spinach and Cheese frittatas. They are very palatable and easy to nuke in the morning.

Okay, well I wish you the best of luck. Start a journal and I promise people will visit and support you!

#6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 11:09

Stats: 228/228/126
BF:

Vikki

I am from Broxbourne Hertfordshire, what part of England are you originally from. I have two brothers living in ontario.

Tina
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 13:53
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi Tina! Welcome! The hardest and scariest part is starting and the longer you are on Atkins the better you think and feel. Imagine how great you will feel when:

* You get your cravings under control
* You are on a "diet" and not be starving
* Your energy increase
* Your clothes fit differently
* You lose your first ten pounds
* You can fit into clothes that are too tight/small now

Come on! Join us.

Good luck
red
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 17:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Also, keep in mind that you don't have to eat a BIG breakfast. A couple of nuts or olives would do the trick. You just need to eat SOMETHING to get that leveling in your blood glucose.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 18:50

Stats: 185/168/145 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 43%

I agree with others though, use your creative side to come up with interesting things to eat. Myself, I have always been a breakfast fan so it is easier for me, but I think you are definitely on the right track with the journaling though- it will help you get a clear idea of what is really blocking you from beginning. Just knowing why you are having such a hard time beginning will help you to overcome the fear of going ahead with it.
Any ways what ever you decide to do make yr self #1 and take care of you!!!
Jan P
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 20:07

Plan: lap band...low carb
Stats: 225/181/145 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default hi tina

I'm a lupus/fibro , hashimoto's (low thyroid), and diabetes...The first week, I felt terrible...the 3rd day was especially hard....it started getting better in the second week...My rheumatologist says that the atkins would be fine for me....He tells me that my meds can't make me gain weight, that it does make me hungry, but told me to eat the way the adkins diet suggested. Make sure with your rheumy that the high protien is ok with your kidney envolvement...I am feeling great now for the first time in a long time...Friday, I will have been on the diet for 2 months...

Eat when your hungry...just don't eat the wrong things...good luck to you....Trisha