Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 10:28
Leeloo Wannabe

Plan: Maint./Low GI (good carb)
Stats: 143/135/135 Female 5'8"
BF:25.6%/21.9%/>20%
Progress: 100%
Default ThickenThin *Not Starch* or *Not Sugar*

Hi!

I have the ThickenThin Not Starch and have been hesitant about buying the ThickenThin Not Sugar because it's just as expensive and I'd probably use it less than I do the "Not Starch".

My Question Is: Can you use the "Not Starch" to thicken up sweet dishes, or is it imperative that you use the "Not Sugar" one for sweets? I'm not talking "candies" but more like pancakes, sweet sauces, smoothies, etc. The package of the "Not Sugar" specifies it's for smoothies, candies, etc. whereas the "Not Starch" says it's for gravies, etc.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,
Lil
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 08:35
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Hi Lily:

I have both from my old Atkins days. I've used the /not Starch on several occassions, but I've never found a reason to use the /not Sugar. I don't think it's even been opened. I personally don't see that they are much different. In fact, I think I made homemade ice cream last winter and I used the /not Starch in it. I don't even use the /not Starch much anymore. The only time I found it worked was for leftovers so the grainy feel wasn't worth it.

Have you checked out Expert Food's website at http://www.expertfoods.com/index.php ? It may give you some ideas if you haven't already visited.

Since I don't bake sweets, the only thing I could possibly try the /not Sugar in is a smoothy, but the ones I make post BFL workout can't have fiber in them so /not Sugar's out of the question. Next time I make a protein shake (away from post workout), I'll try to remember the /not Sugar and see what it's like.

It doesn't answer your question, but I hate to see a post go unanswered.

Wanda
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 16:14
Leeloo Wannabe

Plan: Maint./Low GI (good carb)
Stats: 143/135/135 Female 5'8"
BF:25.6%/21.9%/>20%
Default Thanks Wanda!

HA HA HA! You're so cute, hating to see a post go unanswered! LOL!! I kind of gave up on this one to tell you the truth. I bought some Xanthan Gum (ridiculously expensive) and used it in some cookies I baked, but DH and I decided I would stop baking treats because we ended up just eating them and even though they're low carb, we still don't need them!! I am trying to eat 75% of my calories before dinner and then stopping at dinner time (maybe some tea after that but not much else). Restraint, right?

Thanks for the reply!

Good luck with your workouts!
Lily
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 16:23
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Hi Lily:

I have the Thicken Thin /not Starch, /not Sugar, xanthum gum, guar gum..... let's see if I've missed anything else. I can be a real sucker sometimes.

I hear ya though. When I was doing Atkins I make the Individual size cheesecakes a lot so I wouldn't have temptation staring at me each time I opened the fridge.

Wanda
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 16:26
Wombat Ashramite

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hey Lily,

The xanthan gum may not be expensive as it seems, since a tiny amount has quite a bit of thickening power. I paid $11 US for my package and I haven't even used an 1/8 of it in the 9 months I've had it. My favorite use is in a smoothie/protein drink because it makes it lovely and creamy and enables me to cut back on the heavy cream a little.

I had never thought of using it in cookies or pancakes. How do you do it?

P.S. I've seen you around and think you just have the happiest face. What a great ad for low-carbing you are!

Cheers, Dig