Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 22:17
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/185/175
BF:
Progress: 82%
Default Lost in the world of supplements

uh right I gather from other posts
i should be taking
magnesium
potassium
glutamine
calcium (but not carbonate)
multi-vitamin

the bottle of calcium i have, under ingredients the first thing listed is Calcium Carbonate so i guess i'm taking the wrong thing, someone tell me why not to take carbonate and if not carbonate what is right to take?

and am i missing anything in my list

Last edited by Tarrant : Mon, Dec-09-02 at 22:49.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 09:49

Plan: Protein Power (more or less)
Stats: 285/231/200 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default everyone is different!

Quote:
and am i missing anything in my list

Hi there --

I don' t know that any of us can say what you do or don't need. Everyone is very different! Your needs will depend you your metabolism, what is in your diet, your levels of stress, etc. Your list of supplements does not look like mine, but then my list of supplements does not look like it did five months ago! As my needs changed so did the roster of supplements.

You want to look at what people are taking and think of your own needs. Magnesium, potassium, and a multi-vitamin are all pretty basic, in my book, but from there it really depends.

With what I eat I think B-complex is pretty important too, and C. And because my energy levels are very low I take NADH and Siberian ginseng as well -- but again, those choices reflect problems and solutions I identified for my own unique case, and you must do the same.

Looks like you are off to a great start -- if I were you I'd read more of this forum, especially the resources post from Natrushka (I don't know if I spelled her name correctly, but it is at the very top of the forum). Her message provides a lot of very informative sites that can help you make up your mind what you need. And from there it is trial-and-error!

Cheers --

Last edited by raharris : Tue, Dec-10-02 at 18:35.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 19:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/209/180
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default B-3

Does anyone take B-3 (Niacin)? I just started and find I get hot flashes on my face and neck about 10 min after I take it. It goes away in about 10-15 min....Weird
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 19:33

BF:

Quote:
Does anyone take B-3 (Niacin)

Between my multiple vitamin and the B-Complex I take 225 mg/day, which is several hundred times the minimum daily requirement. I've never had a problem with it, but of course YMMV!

Cheers --
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 00:40
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/185/175
BF:
Progress: 82%

What do magnesium and potassium do for ya?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 08:12

BF:
Default magnesium

Hi --

The key parts of the bits below are that magneseium helps with "nerve/muscle function, regulation of body temperature, energy metabolism, DNA/RNA synthesis, and the formation of bones," and is recommended for the "nearly ¾ of the American population [that] fails to consume enough magnesium from the diet."

Robert

From http://www.supplementwatch.com/

Supplement Magnesium Description Magnesium is a mineral that functions as a coenzyme (part of ~100 enzymes) for nerve/muscle function, regulation of body temperature, energy metabolism, DNA/RNA synthesis, and the formation of bones. The majority of the body’s magnesium (60%) is found in the bones. Food sources include artichokes, nuts, beans, whole grains and shellfish. Too much can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

Claims

* Builds bone
* Increases energy levels
* Promotes heart health
* Enhances protein synthesis (muscle building)

Theory
Because magnesium is needed as a co-factor for several enzymes to help convert carbohydrates, protein, and fat into energy, magnesium supplements may play a role in energy metabolism. Due to the role of magnesium in conducting nerve impulses, supplements have been promoted for support of heart function. Magnesium’s role in bone health stems from its primary location in bone tissue and its ability to help increase calcium absorption. Scientific Support The scientific support for magnesium as an adjunct to calcium supplements is fairly well-founded. Magnesium can help improve calcium absorption and may help maintain bone density in those individuals at risk for excessive bone loss. A few studies have suggested a potential role for magnesium supplements in energy metabolism by showing an increased exercise efficiency in endurance athletes. In general, however, there is no overwhelming evidence to suggest any increases in muscular strength or boosted energy levels following magnesium supplementation. Safety Excessive magnesium intake can cause diarrhea and general gastrointestinal distress as well as interfere with calcium absorption and bone metabolism. Since there are no known benefits associated with consuming more than 600 mg per day of magnesium, higher intakes should be avoided.

Value
Since nearly ¾ of the American population fails to consume enough magnesium from the diet, supplements may be warranted in some cases, particularly those in which bone metabolism are concerned.

Dosage
The Daily Value for magnesium is 400mg per day, but requirements may be elevated somewhat by stressors such as exercise and when taking calcium supplements for bone building or prevention of bone loss. http://www.supplementwatch.com/

#7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-02, 08:21

BF:
Default potassiumHi

Hi --

The Dr.s Eades' (Protein Power) are pretty big on potassium, and for their view you'd have to read their book(s).

The key bits of the bit below conclude that "a diet high in potassium-rich food may help to protect against heart disease and stroke, according to various studies. One study found that people with high blood pressure who had a daily serving of a potassium-rich foods decreased their risk of fatal stroke by 40%. "

Personally I've found that potassium staches the occurance of cramps, especially in my legs.

Cheers

From
http://www.wholehealthmd.com/

What Is It?

With the exception of calcium and phosphorus, no other mineral is as abundant in the human body as potassium. Most people don't need to take supplements of this mineral because it's so widely available in foods such as bananas, orange juice, and potatoes.

Potassium's task is a formidable one, primarily because of its role as an electrolyte, a mineral that takes on a positive or negative charge when dissolved in the watery medium of body fluids. (Sodium and chloride are other important electrolytes.) To regulate blood pressure and muscle contraction, and to keep nerves, kidneys, and a host of other body processes working properly, the body needs to maintain these electrolytes in a delicate balance.

In addition, potassium aids in converting blood sugar (glucose, the body's foremost fuel), into glycogen, a form of energy that can be stored in the muscles and liver and released as needed.

Health Benefits

A healthy intake of potassium through foods is valuable for general health and can even help to maintain normal blood pressure. In fact, a diet high in potassium-rich food may help to protect against heart disease and stroke, according to various studies. One study found that people with high blood pressure who had a daily serving of a potassium-rich foods decreased their risk of fatal stroke by 40%. Whether this effect was entirely due to the potassium is not entirely clear, however.

Research also indicates that an adequate level of potassium may have a role to play in regulating heartbeat, staving off heart-rhythm abnormalities, and preventing kidney stones.

Specifically, potassium may help to:

# Reduce high blood pressure. Scientists have long known that potassium helps maintain blood pressure. According to the latest studies, people who regularly consume high-potassium foods, such as bananas, avocados, and yogurt, have lower blood pressure than those who don't. For example, in a recent review of 33 studies that examined the effect of potassium on blood pressure, researchers discovered that participants who started out with normal blood pressure and then added 2,340 mg of potassium daily (from foods, supplements, or both) were able to lower their risk of developing high blood pressure by 25%. The reductions were ultimately greatest for people who already had high blood pressure.

A potassium-rich diet may even enable people with high blood pressure to slash their daily dose of prescription medication. In one study of 54 adults with high blood pressure, the majority (81%) of those who were placed on a high-potassium diet--they ate three to six servings of potassium-rich foods daily--were able to safely and dramatically reduce their dosage of high blood pressure medications within 12 months. In contrast, only 29% of those who continued with their normal diets were able to do so.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-02, 14:14

BF: