Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 13:48

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 180/151/125
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default guy at work suggests changing my eating to shock my body into losing i

I work with a guy and he and his wife have lost huge amounts
of weight doing balnaced eating,,,

She has gone from 250 to 126 and they work out alot, shes now a personal trainer.

His theory is my body is now accustomed to eating low carb and needs a change to well balanced eating, ( loe fat) you know the way most people think and diet.

I told him im terrifies to eat oatmeal the stuff he eats.

But he makes sense sort of.

Im so damm confused.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 13:53
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

It is hard to say, maybe it could work, but then again what if it doesn't? As you know, everyone has advice about dieting. You have to choose what you are comfortable with. You know your own body better than anyone else.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 14:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 311/216/185 Male 5" 9'
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default How do you feel now?

For me it would come down to just one thing.

How do you feel now?

I tried doing the low fat for 2 1/2 months. I did loose 23 lbs. but then I stalled and then gained 5 lbs back. My discipline was excellent. Problem was I just did not feel good. I had cravings all the time. I felt weak and tired all the time.

I've been doing Atkins now for a little over 2 weeks. On my 9th day of the diet I woke up feeling as though I had been shot full of adrenaline. I have more energy than I know what to do with. I now feel this way all the time. If I were to never loose another pound I would stay on this diet for life.

However, I am remaining in the induction stage. When I stall ( and all diets do) I plan on going up to about 40 - 50 carbs for about a week , then back down to 20 to try and kick start the weight loss again. But I'm staying within the LC family.

Best of Luck
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 14:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/168/160 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 80%

who knows what works for some people does not work for others. Depends on what you are willing to try.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 14:37

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I think that it could work. Look at all of the people that are sucessful on diets like WW etc. It just depends on you and how you feel. To me being so used to this WOE, you are going to be hungry and have cravings.

The only WOE that I have lost weight is on Atkins, and WW, but on WW, I was hungry all the time, and did not have the energy to exercise. Although my Mom is doing great on it. (She doesn't really like meat so this WOE would be difficult for her)

I just like the fact that my blood sugar is at a normal level, and if I am hungry I can eat, and eat something besides a measley celery stik.

I really feel it is up to the individual.

Wee
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 14:48

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 53%

SQ,

How long have you been stalled? Are you eating carbs at or close to induction levels? If so, your body may have adapted to the ketosis and is refusing to burn any more stored fat.

Did you weigh this weight for a long period of time in your past? Sometimes our bodies will stall at certain plateaus because that weight is familiar. Sometimes our bodies are just really comfortable at a certain weight and will hang there for a time until it decides to drop some more weight.

I still believe that you will continue to lose weight on this diet when your body is good and ready to do so. At least you know if you keep eating the right LC food, your health is improving. BTW, I totally disagree with the low fat way of eating.

Hang in there. We all feel your pain!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 20:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/163/135
BF:
Progress: 59%

One thing to remember, if you do decide to change to another way of eating and if it doesn't work you can always go back to the Atkins approach.

I've been off and on my "diet" for about 2 months now (not even watching what I was eating!), and everytime I gain some weight. When I get back on it seriously, all of the "new" fat, comes right off. It's the "old" fat that's just refusing to budge, but it does so eventually!! So, just keep that in mind if you see that it's not working and you start to gain, atleast you know that you can always switch back and it'll come off!

Please let me know if it gives your weight loss a kick start, I need to shock my metabolism back into life and just don't know what to do!

Good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 20:44

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

I say go for it if you want to, there is no miracle diet not even Atkins. Every weight loss plan can be successful depending on your body. I know tons of people who have had great outcomes with all types of diets. You just have to try things and see how your body reacts since we are all so different.