Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 12:12

Plan: LC (Began 0/0/00)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 0 ft 0in
BF:--/--/--
Progress: 5%
Unhappy Confessions of a Carb-o-holic

Hello all,
I have had to face a terrible truth about myself and decided to share it "publicly" with you all.

I started keeping my fitday journal yesterday, Sat. May 10, 2003 and was brutally honest about everything I put into my mouth.

To my SHOCK AND HORROR.... these were my daily totals...
Calories.... 2,656
Fat........... 132
CARBS......... 218
Protein....... 142

Before this, if you had asked me what I ate, I would have said, oh about 35 carbs a day.

WOW!! Talk about "deluding" myself.

No wonder my Blood Sugars (BGs) have been so elevated !!!

Well, it's time to face the facts:

I have a LONG WAY TO GO before I can do this "low carb" thing.

I've decided to ween myself down to 35 carbs a day.

Today, as my own Mother's Day gift to myself, I'm going to de-carb my kitchen to make it a safe haven for me.

If the kids want something "carby" then I will get them a single serving item at the store that they eat in one sitting.

I'm giving up my "sugar-free" chocolate and pudding for now because I love it too much and I eat too many servings of it.

Tnanks for listening to my confessons.

I'm counting on you all to help keep me honest.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 12:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246/227/140 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hello, and good for you for being brave enough to post your numbers. It is hard to do, especially when they are so far off what you were thinking they were. They seem really high, did you remember to do in and change the amounts in fitday...the defaults are usually quite strange.
It is great that you are making the big step, and getting your carbs down to 35 will make you feel so much better.
Hope to talk to you again soon
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 12:36

Plan: LC (Began 0/0/00)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 0 ft 0in
BF:--/--/--
Progress: 5%
Default Fitday numbers

Thanks for your support.

Re: the fitday default numbers.....
I wish I could blame my high numbers on that, but I can't.

I entered my food using the "custom food" option and typed in the info right from the package info box.

This is where I went wrong in my eating:

I had 2 bananas (1 was in the S-F pudding), which added up to 47 CARBS;

Then, I baked some peanut butter cookies for "the kids" and ate 3 of them when they were warm- right out of the oven. They added up to 48 CARBS. In my "pre-carb" days, I wouldn't have even noticed that I ate those cookies. I used to tell myself they didn't "count" since I didn't sit down and purposely eat them.

Then, I ate 2 servings of Sugar-Free Chocolate; which added up to 42 CARBS. (I couldn't eat "just one")

Then, I ate 4 servings (the whole box) of Sugar-free Jello Vanilla pudding made with lactose-free milk-- 2 cups. This added up to 48 CARBS. (I chopped up a banana in it, but I counted the banana under the "banana" listed above.

So, those 4 items added up to 185 CARBS.

If I hadn't eaten them, I would have totaled 33 carbs for the day.

I don't usually eat this many "sweet" things; I think I'm VERY PMS right now and my cravings are WILD.

However, that doesn't excuse what I've done-- only explains it.

For today, I'm switching to Sugar-Free Jello Gelatin to help "ween" myself away from the pudding.

I still can't figure out how to make my fitday journal show up at the end of each posting without having to type it in each time.

I tried making it my homepage in my profile, but it still didn't show up in the signature line. Any suggestions are welcome.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 12:46
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Hi Teresa,

Yep -- it is too many carbs, but admitting that and dealing with it is what is important.

Rather than switching to sugar-free Jello, you might want to consider staying away from all artificial sweeteners for a while. In some people, any artificial sweetener (including Splenda) sets up cravings that make them desire more carbs. You might want to try to go on a very strict "real foods" approach for a week or two and see how you feel and how much weight you lose. After that, if you want to experiment with adding back in things like sugar-free Jello, at least you'll have a base from which to work. If the idea of giving up everything with artificial sweetener totally, including sugar-free Jello, starts cravings for you, that could be an indication that your body is dependent upon those artificial sweeteners and you really do need to totally eliminate them from your diet.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 11:04

Plan: SP/Atkins hybrid
Stats: 224/192/130 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

De-carbing the kitchen sounds like a really good Mother's Day gift to yourself!

It really is amazing how quickly those carbs can add up.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 15:12

Stats: 266/251.2/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default It's amazing how we used to justify ourselves...

I hooted when I saw this because it sounds just like me!!

Quote:
In my "pre-carb" days, I wouldn't have even noticed that I ate those cookies. I used to tell myself they didn't "count" since I didn't sit down and purposely eat them.

CONGRATS on being able to put it all down in black & white. I don't think I could make a detailed list of my bingy days. But please don't let a day like this make you think you can't do it. Some of us don't make it through the first time, or the second time, or the third... (you get my drift). But I think that most of would agree that, especially for us TDC'ers, it is crucial that we try & keep off ALL the artificial stuff for a week or two. I hope you'll consider it & consider this as a place to go any & every time you feel like you can't do it.

Good luck!!