Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 11:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%
Default Clumpy Artificial Sweetener

Last winter I special ordered Sugar Twin and Brown Sugar Twin from Canada. Had to buy 3 boxes of each because they had a minimum order. I put one box of each into plastic containers and left the other boxes in the pantry.

Well, I should have noticed that the boxes aren't lined. After sitting in my pantry through a North Carolina summer, I went to open a fresh box of Sugar Twin and found the powder had set into one giant clump. Ugh!

Is there anything I can do to separate it back into a powder? It's kind of hard to use like this.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 18:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahO
Last winter I special ordered Sugar Twin and Brown Sugar Twin from Canada. Had to buy 3 boxes of each because they had a minimum order. I put one box of each into plastic containers and left the other boxes in the pantry.

Well, I should have noticed that the boxes aren't lined. After sitting in my pantry through a North Carolina summer, I went to open a fresh box of Sugar Twin and found the powder had set into one giant clump. Ugh!

Is there anything I can do to separate it back into a powder? It's kind of hard to use like this.
I've had that happen with a few other very fine powdery ingredeints. I broke it up (kitchen mallet?) carefully in a large heavy duty ziplock bag, and then VERY carefully dropped the pieces in a tightly sealed food processor or blender to break it up further. I strongly recommend draping a kitchen towel over the lid, and letting everything settle before opening. The static build-up is pretty intense and powder will fly everywhere if not careful.

I now put such things in a glass jar with a rubber-ring lid or line the lid with doubled plastic wrap.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by IslandGirl : Thu, Oct-30-03 at 18:12.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 18:36
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Hi Sarah: Great to see you again today. It's so neat to have lunch with folks who understand lc. That woman who kept coming back to our table and saying that she didn't even recognize you because you had lost so much weight was pretty great, too! I can tell you have lost weight even since July, but obviously I never knew you when you were chowing down on the pancakes, because I did still recognize you today...

I just emailed the Sugar Twin people asking if there were any places in our area to buy brown sugar twin. Doesn't seem to be.....why not, do you suppose?

But I'm having the same clumping problem after this damp summer with a big box of dishwasher detergent. We keep whacking at it with a hammer. Don't use the dishwasher all that often, but I hate to throw a whole box away.

See you soon, you look wonderful!

Kay

Last edited by TarHeel : Thu, Oct-30-03 at 18:38.