Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 07:48

Plan: Carb Addicts Lifspan Program
Stats: 252/252/150
BF:
Progress:
Default Ketosis question

Hi,
I am on the CALP diet.
I orginally started locarbing on the Atikins diet, then after 19 days I switched to CALP.
I have been on CALP for around 6 days now. I am following the diet as close as possible, and am enjoying it much more than the Atkins.
My question is about Ketones. I have been eating carbs everyday with my reward meal. Am I mean real carbs. Potatoes, Noodles, etc. I still have been keeping track of them on fitday, and sometimes after all of the veggies and starches I will go as high as 70 carbs. Yesterday I noticed that I was getting that heavy metallic taste in my mouth again like I did the first 14 days on the Atkins diet. So, just for the fun of it I tested my ketone with my the strips that I had left over. And they changed! I am in ketosis again. Don't get me wrong I am not complaining, but is that normal?
Just thought someone might have some wise words for me.

Thanks.

Cathy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 08:30

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Cathy, I don't see why it wouldnt be normal - for some people. Part of the Atkins program is determining your CCLL (Critical Carb Level for Losing) for many it can be a slow as 30g a day - for others as high as 80g. Everyone will be different. I typically eat 60-70g a day and stay in ketosis and still lose fat. It sounds like you're in the same position. Lucky us

By having your reward meal and eating those carbs within the alloted hour you are avoiding the dreaded insulin spike that happens when one eats carbs then eats more carbs a short while later. You aren't messing with your insulin sensitivity.

It makes sense to me that you'd still be in ketosis. Also, if you happen to workout this would only help your situation.

Fom the sounds of things maintaining a LC WOE once you've reach goal should quite enjoyable.

Cheers,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 08:49

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Nat,
Hope that is my CCL, I am going to just keep doing what I am doing.
I love CALP it is so much easier for me.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 20:46

Plan: dr atkins
Stats: 155/149/130
BF:
Progress:
Default CALP

What is the CALP diet?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 10:00

BF:
Progress:

It is the Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan Program.
Very similar to the Atkins diet.
Except that you are allowed to eat a reward meal once a day. Which can include 1 carbo rich food. Potatoes, noodles, rice, bread, or fruit. Whatever you wish for that day.
I have been on it for 8 days, with no cravings, no cheating, and I feel much better than I did on the Atkins diet.
But, that is me, some people do not do as well on this diet.
I enjoy my reward meal, and have still stayed in ketosis while I am on this diet. Lucky me!
Read the book it might work for you too!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 10:09

BF:
Progress:

It is the Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan Program.
Very similar to the Atkins diet.
Except that you are allowed to eat a reward meal once a day. Which can include 1 carbo rich food. Potatoes, noodles, rice, bread, or fruit. Whatever you wish for that day.
I have been on it for 8 days, with no cravings, no cheating, and I feel much better than I did on the Atkins diet.
But, that is me, some people do not do as well on this diet.
I enjoy my reward meal, and have still stayed in ketosis while I am on this diet. Lucky me!
Read the book it might work for you too!