Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-02, 16:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/180/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Severe Abdominal Cramps

Hello everyone. I started the Atkins Diet back in August and in the first week and a half, I went from 191 to 180...things were going great. One day while at work, I had severe abdominal cramps to the point that I was told by my doctor to go to the Emergency Room. After waiting there for an hour, I began to feel fine and they could not determine the cause of the pain which was no longer there. The only thing I had that day were my daily vitamins (which I had been taking all along and had no problems), my Atkins shake for breakfast, water and a plain Hot dog at lunch. After the hot dog the pain started. After I left the hospital...I have been off of the Atkins plan and I intend to start again tomorrow. I read about Constipation and I wonder if that could have been the cause. Any suggestions on supplements that will help with that, I was drinking about 12 - 8 ounce servings of water per day.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-02, 20:37

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi MishaMommy!

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a distressing experience! In answer to your question about constipation, the best thing to avoid that is plenty of water (which you are already doing) and plenty of fiber. From your post above, it looks like you weren't getting nearly enough veggies or fiber. Fats are also important to keep things running smoothly. If your daily veggies aren't enough to keep you from getting constipated (one of the reasons it's important to eat them), you can supplement with plain psyllium husks, fiber caplets or add a couple of tablespoons of ground flaxseed to your daily regimen.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 04:08

Stats: 266/197/168 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

If you are taking a vitamin, check to see if there is iron in it, that also adds to the constipation in some people, once I changed to a multi vitamin with out iron I was good with the addition of the Pyssillum husks in the morning.

Kathy
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 11:29

Plan: The zone
Stats: 149/127/120 Female 160 cm
BF:
Progress: 76%
Smile Magnesium

Hi MishaMommy,

You may also check if there is magnesium in the vitamin/mineral tablets you take. My brother in law had also severe leg crapms and once he started to take magnesium they dissappeared. I do not know if the lack of magnesium may also cause abdominal cramps, but for sure it can cause leg cramps...

Best wishes with your new starting!!!

Maria Jose
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 12:33

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Sorry to hear of your pain. It could have been caused by many different things. My hubby just went to the ER on Friday for pain in the lower left abdominal area - diverticulitis was the cause. It seems to be a more common ailment in industrulized countries where refined foods are more than norm - which means less fiber - which lead to constipation. Of course your pains could simply mean you had gas or a mirad of other things.

Read this thread for a more in-depth discussion of it:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...=diverticulitis

Also here is a link to Webmd:
http://my.webmd.com/encyclopedia/article/4115.21268
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 13:38

Stats: 180/180/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up Thank You all for your responses

Hi, I would like to thank you all for your responses. I did see on the AtkinsCenter web site that you could add psyllium or flaxseed, but I also wanted an answer from people who are living the LoCarb life. I think the low amount of veggies could have also added to my problem and I will try to do as I was told when younger (Eat my Green Leafy Veggies . I still think LoCarb is the way to go because it was working for me...and I was 191 when I started and I am 180 now (which is the weight I was when stopped the LoCarb way of life). I hope to start again and with great support like this...I am sure I will be a success...again...thanks a million to everyone!
WE ARE IN THIS TOGETHER!!!