Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 17:28

Plan: Atkins started 1/2/03
Stats: 302/260/185
BF:47/38/23
Progress: 36%
Question Upping Carbs

Hi! I have what might be a strange question....but maybe not.

How do I up my carbs? I ask because I am supposed to be at 40 g per day, and unless I am eating veggies galore, I am not hitting 40. Not even close. I did get close to 35 a couple of times last week, but without adding things like more fruit, more nuts, etc. or eating huge salads at EVERY meal, I find it physically difficult to consume enough "legal" food to get to 40 grams per day.

Can someone who is eating at that level shed some light on this? Can I add some other fruit? Luckily, I don't like corn, beans, peas, or other starchy veggies, but I wouldn't mind a half of a orange or apple now and again. Or do I just need to bite the bullet and eat more salads? Or do I just keep doing what I am doing since it is working???

Hope this makes sense to someone. I really appreciate any insight.

Amy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 18:19
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Why do you think you need to be at 40 grams? As long as you are eating enough vegetables, I don't think that Atkins ever requires anyone to add carbs into their diet. In fact, for people with a lot to lose, it is safe to stay at induction levels of carbs for quite a while.

Personally, I don't really count carbs -- I eat as much low carb vegetables as I want each day (3 cups minimum), I eat one serving of berries each day, I eat about half a cup of cottage cheese most days, and I occasionally snack on a handful of nuts. Also, I have two cups of coffee each morning. I don't use artificial sweeteners. Very, very occasionally (once or twice a month), I treat myself to a little whipped cream. I stay away from fake foods -- shakes, bars, etc. That has been working for me. Months ago I calculated the number of carbs in my daily diet, but I can't even remember what the number is. At this point, I just know what I can eat.

If you find a level of carbs that works for you and on which you can lose weight, you don't need to get hung up on the number.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 18:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Upping...

If you do choose to up your carbs, do so very carefully and keep a close eye on your scale.

I found that I can eat considerably more carbs than I thought I could and still maintain my weight. However, the losing stopped. And I have a lot to lose.

So I went back to round 25 per day and I lose on that. I'm just one of those unlucky people that has to keep my carbs very low in order to lose. On the other hand, I'm blessed to have found a WOE that lets me eat so many things and lose the weight that I am tired of carrying around.

Bottom line, increase carefully, watch closely and don't fall victim to carb creep!

Donald
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 03:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Are you still moving up in the OWL phase, or have you reached maintenance?

If you're in OWL, Dr. Atkins recommends using the "power of five" to up your carbs. Some examples are 1 med tomato, 1/3 cup chopped onion, 1/2 California avocado, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1 oz nuts or 1/2 oz cashews, more berries or specific juices - each raising your carbs by 5.

If you're in Maintenance, use the "power of ten" with more nuts, some higher carb vegies (carrots, winter squash, yams, peas, beets, parsnips, potatoes), some beans, or a greater variety of fruits. He even mentions some grains (oatmeal, barley, spinach pasta and more).

These are in the appropriate sections of DANDR. Or, you may be able to find more information on his website:

www.atkinscenter.com

Good luck to you!