Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 20:56
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ckd
Stats: 190/175/130
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Second Ketosis Question

Does anyone know how long after a meal you will be thrown out of ketosis if that meal contained too many carbs? I'm trying to pinpoint problems in my diet and am looking to try to measure things according to my ketostix. I was wondering if there is a way to do this. I took my reading this morning and I was moderate, later on a trace and still later negative. A few hours later I was back to moderate. I'm trying to see exactly what this is reflecting. Is it possible to go in and out of ketosis all day or can I really use the ketostix to find a problem in my diet? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 21:36
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

I don't think it can be monitored this way, as it fluctuates over the day even if you eat the same thing over and over.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 05:41
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Question A thought

I know this sounds strange but since I've been drinking 3-5 liters of water, my ketostix haven't turned color. How do I know I'm in Ketosis if my measurements haven't changed and my weight hasn't changed? I keep my carbs below 25g.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 06:03

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Remember guys, Ketosticks are just a guide. Don't let a lack of colour rule your day. Some people never show even a trace and lose weight nonetheless; If I drink more than 3L of water I can't tell if I'm Negative or Trace the colour is so off.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 10:44
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 321.5/205.5/175
BF:
Progress: 79%
Unhappy Ketostix

Nat, you are the perfect person to ask about these things. Being the diet goddess you are !

Are you trying to say that Ketostix are not an accurate measure? Because recently my sticks went dead negative (after drinking a large volume of diet soda when out with friends), then that day went back to trace and have not yet continued upwards. . . I thought someone had slipped me a regular beverage and was about to go homicidal!

Is there any trusted data on Ketostix to determine things?

Mike
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 11:14
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Click on Low Carb Tips on the orange menu bar, and read the article Ketosis and Ketone Testing Strips. I've included additional links at the bottom of the article as well.

Many diabetes patient-care sites are recommending the use of foil-wrapped ketostix (mega-espensive!! ) .... because there is a very high incidence of inaccuracy in regular ketostix (the chemical reagent in the pad degrades rapidly when exposed to air and moisture). The closer it is to 6 months since you opened the container, and the more humid your bathroom is, the greater is the likelihood the sticks aren't very accurate.

The other thing is accurate timing of the test. Use a watch. The reading is taken at 15 seconds. The pad will continue to darken over time, so that at 5 minutes, you may see a darker reading, but this is due to the breakdown of urine components when exposed to air. Any reading taken after 15 seconds is not accurate.

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 11:22
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 321.5/205.5/175
BF:
Progress: 79%
Talking Thanks Doreen

I've just realized how much more of this site there is that I haven't even looked at.

I appreciate the response and I will continue trucking away.

Mike