Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 14:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/155/140 Female 173cm
BF:
Progress:
Default have flu - need help!!!!!

Is it possible to get the "atkins flu" as far in as 3 weeks? I read about it happening in the first week, but I have just entered week 3 and feel terrible!!

Of course, it could be normal flu, who knows???

Also I would like to ask more advice at this point to say I lost 1lb in my first week, nothing in my 2nd and this week I have put on 3lbs!!!!!

whats happening ?????? I have successfully lost in the past, but this time there is nothing happening. What can I do???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 02:21

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi I hope that you soon feel better.

Do you think that you have a bad cold/flu? It is unlikely that you are suffering from being on Atkins, unless you are doing it very wrong. Describe your symptons if you think it is low carb related.

Certainly losing weight a second time is not as easy as the first time. Demi will testify to that.

You only have 15 pounds to lose, if your stats are accurate, so it will not be plain sailing. Do not expect to lose much more than a pound a week.

Your weight gain this week could be for a number of reasons. Your body weight does naturally fluctuate. Is it your TOM? - people can put on 4 or 5 pounds at that time. Have you eaten more salty food? - this retains water in the body. Have you started a new exercise programme? - putting on muscle can change the water balance and it does weigh more than fat.

If you have remained low carb then these 3 pounds can only be water weight and will shift in time.

Make sure you are eating enough carbs, at least 20 g a day, probably slightly more. Drink plenty of fluids, particularly water. This is essential. Funnily enough it will flush out the excess water. Eat enough, but not too much. If you are in to calorie counting keep them around 1400 a day.

Have a look at what you are eating and if you have a cold take some Beecham's powders or something else to get rid of it. Your body will naturally hold onto what it has whilst it fights a cold and your body needs slightly more carbs during that time, in my opinion.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 02:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/155/140 Female 173cm
BF:
Progress:

thanks for your advice, your suggestions make perfect sense - I appear to have been on TOM for the last 3 weeks since i started (thanks to the depot provera injection) and i have been eating a lot of salted peanuts lately - would they have caused me to hang on to the water?

I find it really difficult to stick to when I am not seeing results after trying so hard, it has taken great will power not to give up again! The thing is, I understand how it works biologically, but cant understand why its not working for me!!!!! I even thought about having a carb blowout to give me a jump start but then worried in case I ruined anythin I might have acheived...................

I am also very bloated around my tummy, which I never get when low carbing but is usual with my old (bad) diet. Sorry to whinge on but need support to keep going at the moment!!!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 06:41
Registered Member

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 124/122/120 Female 65inches
BF:25/19/15
Progress: 50%

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you're feeling bad.

Don't despair, women's physiology is more complicated. Ups and downs with water retention seem to be par for the course!

My weight always goes up pre-tom, and stomach feels spongy, far less bloat though than before, but still a definite difference.

Could the injection have something to do with it? There may be some info about this on the Atkins web site.

If you have bog standard flu, don't be too hard on yourself, flu always makes people feel rotten and down in the dumps. Have a rest, it can be exhausting too.

Hope you feel better soon.

Best
Alison