Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 06:54
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%
Default Living in a cold climate

PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one who is having a hard time this winter losing weight or stalling.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 07:05

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Mine has slowed down, so I'm having to work a bit harder at it. But I don't know whether it's the colder weather, or the increased exercise, or the lower calorie deficit or all of the above. I like your question though! If it's just because of the colder weather, then there is another reason to look forward to Spring!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 11:15

Plan: Atkins/induction
Stats: 329/293.5/200 Female 5 feet 2.5inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

I too have slowed down this winter. Now I am not a real active person in the warmer weather alittle gardening messing with my fish pond ect. but arthur like my fish does not like cold. When the weather warms they move more and so do I. SO my thoughts are Fat is more plyable when it is heated other wise it is just sits there. I know on warmer day I even move better Spring is actually only 65 days away so we will be amovin soon.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 12:32
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I have been alot less active and have been hungry more since winter set in this is the first year I have disliked winter! lol.. since the begining of nov I have lost 10lbs compaired to 60lbs in the 4 monthes before
of course there was moving into a new house and not having a frig for 8 days around thanksgiving and two weeks of matience for christmas but hey lol
I also never gotten cold in the winter and I can not go outside without a sweater and I live in florida! its only 61 today that used to be shorts and t-shirt weather
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 12:49
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

It's called Winter Weight Syndrome and it's perfectly natural. It's explainedhere.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 13:51
Contributing Member

Thanks Zuleikaa for the link, it was interesting. I had the same problem last winter and I thought I was doing something wrong.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 14:00
Registered Member

Stats: 311/295.5/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 10%

Could you send some cold weather this way? We haven't had much of a winter YET! (it's texas...wait a bit, i know)
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 17:17
Contributing Member

lol, Hi 3kittens I wish I could. I'll send you the stuff on the road I walk on in the mornings.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 20:46
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 350/316/250 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I'll even share that -2 degree temp this morning for 1 week of 50 degree weather anytime this winter.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 20:57
On my way to 200's

Plan: high protein low carb
Stats: 372.6/358/250 Female 5'5
BF:I've got that!
Progress: 12%

I'm on my second week of induction and have had no weight loss. Pretty dissapointing since my first week's loss was 10lbs. I can't wait till Spring is here, I'm tired of this cold weather.

I'm going to stay on induction past my two weeks, I just hope to have a better week 3.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 21:09
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Just for a different perspective -- I am not convinced there is any relationship between the season and our rate of weight loss. It may just be that you have lost 40 pounds and your body needs a little time-out before losing again. My body seems to lose in fits and starts with very little relationship to the time of year.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 21:45
Contributing Member

I also lose in small spurts and have mini stalls. You are probably right about my body just needing a little time to adjust. On the other hand, this happened to me last winter and I actually gained a little bit of weight while following the plan.

This winter I am staying on plan. I am tired of induction and have upped my carbs some by adding variety, and am continuing my exercise. I am happy right now to just wait it out. Lately, I have gone down a belt notch, increased my exercise, but my scale weight has not changed.

Thanks for replying everyone.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-04, 23:00

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Thanks Zuleikaa! I didn't realize that SAD affected insulin levels. I really think this is my issue. I work from home so don't go out much at all in the winter during the week. So I am sure I'm not getting any sunlight. Guess I better see what I can do to solve that! Thanks again!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 06:55
Contributing Member

Dianne, I've looked around and the standard treatment is sunlight. This signals your body that it's not winter any more and that there is no longer a need to store body fat. I have a sun lamp on right now over my plants on the counter and have been keeping it on everyday this week. I expect a really big whoosh any day now! lol
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 08:01
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Below is an interesting article on SAD and light boxes from this week's Washington Post:

A SAD Solution
Study: Talk Therapy Beats Light Box for Seasonal Depression
By Cecilia Capuzzi Simon
Special to The Washington Post
Tuesday, January 13, 2004; Page HE01

For those with seasonal affective disorder -- also known as SAD, a form of depression brought on by the dark days of winter -- light therapy (LT) is the standard treatment.

For at least an hour a day, patients sit in front of a box that emits white fluorescent or full-spectrum light. The treatment is believed to help compensate for a person's decreased exposure to the sun during winter's short days, yet 47 percent of patients overall and 57 percent of those with moderate or severe cases of SAD do not respond fully to it. Compliance is low and relapse is common.

Those sad facts drove researcher Kelly Rohan, an assistant professor of medical and clinical psychology with the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, to study the effectiveness of cognitive behavioral therapy on SAD.

Cognitive behavioral therapy, or CBT, is a form of talk therapy in which patients are taught to identify and change the thoughts and behaviors that lead to their symptoms. One of the most thoroughly studied mental health therapies, it's been proven effective at reducing symptoms of anxiety, depression and other psychological problems.

Rohan's finding? CBT alone was more effective than LT alone, and 80 percent of patients responded completely when the therapies were combined. Those who received CBT also had dramatically lower rates of relapse.

Rohan says it makes sense to use CBT to treat SAD, which afflicts about 5 percent of adults in the Washington area, according to an estimate by the National Institutes of Health. Though SAD is brought on by the body's inability to adapt to seasonal changes, Rohan believes that the biological explanation alone is simplistic. A large cognitive component of the disorder is often overlooked, she says. A person's thoughts in response to those changes are also responsible for the symptoms, she says.

For individuals with a history of becoming depressed in the winter as days shorten and circadian rhythms are disrupted, the season -- and even its approach -- "takes on a certain meaning," she says. "Many patients expect their symptoms to begin" as the fall nears. "My phone starts ringing in August," she says. "Physiologically, there is no reason for symptoms to begin that early."

Many SAD patients, she explains, take cues from the environment -- changing leaves, dropping temperatures, less daylight -- and depressive symptoms and behavior become a learned response. "They go into hibernation mode in anticipation of the winter -- staying indoors, or in bed, and cutting off social interactions, activities and exercise," she says. All are symptoms of generalized depression.

Rohan's study does not disprove the usefulness of light therapy, but she hoped it would identify an alternative or at least complementary therapy for the disorder and address LT's shortcomings. For example, even those who do respond to LT suffer what Rohan calls "residual" symptoms: LT-induced improvement is not as complete as spontaneous remission in the summer months.

In addition, adhering to LT protocol is difficult. "It's hard enough to get a patient to take a pill as prescribed for depression," Rohan says. "Imagine trying to get them to sit in front of a light box up to two hours a day. Fifty-nine percent of patients discontinue use. It's a nice treatment. It's effective. But if people can't comply long-term, that's a problem."

Rohan's study compared three groups -- those treated only with LT, those treated with CBT and those treated with both.

All three groups improved, based on two depression-rating scales. But those who received CBT, either alone or with LT, were less depressed at the one-year follow-up. And in one of the depression-rating scales administered the winter following treatment, not one CBT participant -- with or without LT -- met the criteria for depression. By comparison, 62.5 percent of LT-only participants met the depression criteria the next year.

"Light therapy doesn't teach people anything they can do to cope with stress and depression," Rohan says to explain the low relapse rates for those who had the talking cure. "CBT teaches skills that can be used in other areas of life."

People in Rohan's cognitive therapy groups attended group sessions twice a week for six weeks. During those meetings, they learned about the biological origins of SAD and also about the learned behaviors and ingrained thought processes that Rohan believes contribute to their symptoms. They were taught how to alter behavioral patterns in the winter to "get them to act more like they do in the summer," Rohan says, developing interests and activities for the colder months and making efforts to maintain social contacts.

CBT participants also were required to identify negative thoughts and write them down. This helped them develop a greater awareness of what affects their moods, Rohan says, and provided opportunities to challenge their thinking. Lastly, participants were taught to recognize SAD's early warning signs to help prevent relapse.

"We got them to push themselves even when they didn't feel like it," Rohan says. "When they did, they got relief and were able to do more. That created a positive upswing so they could do even a little more the next time."

Clinical Trial

Rohan is assembling another group of SAD patients for additional research. Anyone interested in participating can receive information by calling 301-295-3241.

Cecilia Capuzzi Simon is a regular contributor to the Health section on psychology topics.