Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 21:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%
Default carb overdose?

So I went out tonight to celebrate my bday. I decided to cheat, because ive been so dedicated to my diet, so I justified it. I went out for Italian food, and ate a very high carb dinner. I also had some ice cream cake. The carbs make me feel sick, has anyone else had this happen? I deffinatly do not miss carbs, I just feel like crap now. I thought it would trigger cravings, but now I just want to go back to my atkins way of eating. I never ever thought this day would come, but Dr atkins was right. Does atkins make people sensitive to carbs, does it make anyone else feel like this? Im really glad I chose to eat what I did tonight, now I know that Im not missing out on anything in that junkfood.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-03, 23:46

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Yes, I tried a carb-up day to try to break my stall. Felt like crap afterwards and also very glad to get back to the WOE. It didn't hurt anything (didn't gain weight- it might have helped as suddenly there was a clothes lossening). It will just mean you need about 2 days to get back ito ketosis.

Val
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 01:05
Registered Member

Stats: 190/188/150 Female 5 feet 8.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Honestly, I don't even know how you were able to DO that! Just thinking about carbs makes me want to barf. . .especially really sweet stuff. Cake, Lasagne, heavy stuff. . . .I have NO desire to eat them any longer and it's only been about a week or so for me (on Atkins). I guess that was the only way to find out for sure, huh? I've heard that happens to a lot of people. . . if I never eat another piece of cake again as long as I live I'll be just fine!
My only REAL problem on this diet is that I'm finding I'm not hungry anymore period. . I have to literally force myself to eat. . I NEVER thougt I'd see THAT day!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 08:34
Fit and Happy

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I've also heard that many get sick after having a carb blowout.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 09:45
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I decided once I reached goal weight that I would have one night a week where I would eat anything I wanted. I had a pizza and french fry night last Friday. I didn't get really sick, but I realized that those foods just didn't taste as good as I remembered them. They did sit pretty heavy on my stomach.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 10:29
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I don't think Atkins makes you sensitive. I think you get used to feeling good with stable blood sugar, etc., then when you shock your nicely balanced system with a sudden overload of carbs, it goes nuts! I think pre-lc that I was ALREADY sensitive to carbs, and it's hard for my body to deal with them after having been relieved of the burden for so long. Kind of like having someone toss a bag of bricks at you, when you're used to lifting pillows.....

Last edited by potatofree : Sat, Aug-30-03 at 10:30.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 10:35
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yea, I kind of cheated yesterday (it was a small cheat, a marinade that had sugar in it). It is amazing how carbs make me feel, when eating them I felt a "rush" comparable to the feeling you get when breathing after holding your breath, and then a while later I felt sooo tired I almost passed out asleep right there while watching a movie .

I dont know if I am more sensitive to them now, or if I always felt like that before and didn't realize it, but either way carbs suck!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 14:37
Registered Member

Stats: 224/204/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 31%

I just questioned the same thing in a new thread before I read this one. I went to McDonald's last night. Today I am nausious and was gagging for a while! I will not do that again! I'm glad I that it is not just me! Not that I want anyone else to get sick - but I thought my body was being wierd!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 02:36

Plan: my own
Stats: 240/232/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Quote:
So I went out tonight to celebrate my bday. I decided to cheat, because ive been so dedicated to my diet, so I justified it. I went out for Italian food, and ate a very high carb dinner. I also had some ice cream cake. - by: skibunnie(in this post..about herself)

Skibunnie: let me remind you of what you said to another person on this message board.

Quote:
No one is taking your ketchup away? With that attitude you are going to fail. Thats how you ended up weighing 300 lbs isnt it? Im being very blunt here because sometimes people need to stop being treated like babies. You either have to replace these foods that are bad for you, or be over weight and unhealthy for the rest of your life. You cant have your cake and eat it too. You are only suppose to eat the foods on the list, trying to cheat in other foods is pointless, you are only cheating yourself. Go read the book and follow it word for word. All of these "little cheats" like carrots and ketchup will sabotage your diet. You need to read everything to make sure it doesnt have sugar, and if you dont know, then dont eat it. I really wish you the best of luck, but I think you really need to work on that attitude. I hope through this way of eating you will attain a healthy perspective towards food. But cant you give up two weeks of your life to follow induction correctly? If you look at the big picture, its not very long, and it might be the greatest things you will ever do for yourself. -by: skibunnie(in another post..same day..to zcereal)

You are being extremly hypocritical. It's ok for you to TOTALLY cheat and have a carb blowout, yet its not ok for someone else to have porkrinds, lemonade, a bit of ketchup, and a few peices of shedded carrot in their salad(which all seem pretty legal to me, except maybe the ketchup)? Im pointing this out, hoping you will be more careful and sensitive to others on this message board.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 02:36

Plan: my own
Stats: 240/232/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Quote:
So I went out tonight to celebrate my bday. I decided to cheat, because ive been so dedicated to my diet, so I justified it. I went out for Italian food, and ate a very high carb dinner. I also had some ice cream cake. - by: skibunnie(in this post..about herself)

Skibunnie: let me remind you of what you said to another person on this message board.

Quote:
No one is taking your ketchup away? With that attitude you are going to fail. Thats how you ended up weighing 300 lbs isnt it? Im being very blunt here because sometimes people need to stop being treated like babies. You either have to replace these foods that are bad for you, or be over weight and unhealthy for the rest of your life. You cant have your cake and eat it too. You are only suppose to eat the foods on the list, trying to cheat in other foods is pointless, you are only cheating yourself. Go read the book and follow it word for word. All of these "little cheats" like carrots and ketchup will sabotage your diet. You need to read everything to make sure it doesnt have sugar, and if you dont know, then dont eat it. I really wish you the best of luck, but I think you really need to work on that attitude. I hope through this way of eating you will attain a healthy perspective towards food. But cant you give up two weeks of your life to follow induction correctly? If you look at the big picture, its not very long, and it might be the greatest things you will ever do for yourself. -by: skibunnie(in another post..same day..to zcereal)

You are being extremly hypocritical. It's ok for you to TOTALLY cheat and have a carb blowout, yet its not ok for someone else to have porkrinds, lemonade, a bit of ketchup, and a few peices of shedded carrot in their salad(which all seem pretty legal to me, except maybe the ketchup)? Im pointing this out, hoping you will be more careful and sensitive to others on this message board.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 10:49
Registered Member

Plan: Aaisier Zuccarum Plan
Stats: // Female 52
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hmmm, very interesting.

"Go put your creed into the deed,
Nor speak with double tongue." --Ralph Waldo Emerson
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 11:02
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Sela-- thank you. My thoughts exactly.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 11:33

Stats: 158/134/130 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 86%

I never read the quoted thread but the bit Sela cited seemed like someone just emphasizing how important sticking to the Induction Diet foods is and that it's only for 2 weeks and to give it a good go. I didn't infer any overt harshness--not any more so than I've seen in other threads. And I just assumed (maybe I'm wrong) that skibunnie is way past Induction and just went on a binge one night like many others do periodically!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 11:36
Registered Member

Stats: 190/188/150 Female 5 feet 8.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Personally, I felt this attack was a bit harsh. This person was talking about something they're eating EVERY day and she mentioned a one day cheat. I'm not trying to start a fight, just offer that not everyone here in the forum is going to attack her for what she says or does. We're all just human and I say if you're perfect, then by all means be the one to cast the first stone. . I, however, am not!

Have a great day everyone!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 12:36

Stats: 297.5/272.5/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%

yep. in previous tries with the LC WOL, I would end it by binging on everything imaginable. I felt like crap afterwards. Stomach pains, headaches, you name it.