Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 21:55

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 130/119/110 Female 61
BF:??
Progress: 55%
Default I'm a board hog, but...Anyone have experience with anti-depressants?

I suffered extreme anxiety and panic attacks after the birth of our second daughter, and was put on Paxil (which I am now no longer on). I stayed on it for a year, and after trying to wean off, all my symptoms came back with a vengance, so my doc gave me a new med, Remeron, which is more effective in treating anxiety than the selective seritonin reuptake inhibitors like Paxil et all. Now the one major side effect of this drug, as many people have complained about, is weight gain and increased appetite. Now, being a very active person who runs and lifts weights, I thought no way would this effect me, but I was wrong. After being on it just over a month I have gained weight, aproximately 5-10 lbs (not sure since I know I have gained muscle since I started lifting), b/c my pants are a bit tighter. Soooo, this is what brought me to Atkin's. I've heard others tell of their success in overcoming this side effect of anti-depressants, (some people gain on other meds also). I've heard it can mess with your metabolism, and so, no matter how little caloric intake you have, you will still gain. So, of course, Atkin's seems like my only answer. Has anyone else been through something similar and had success?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 01:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/164 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hi there,
I have also been taking anti depressants for years. I am currently taking Wellbutrin, which is also prescribed for anxiety. I don't know if switching your current medication is an option, but i know that one of the side effects of Wellbutrin is weight loss. It is terrible when you are taking something, and it effects your health in a negative way (particularly something like depression which can be easily influenced by self esteem!). I gained on Paxil, and i also had negative effects on Prozac and Zoloft. This is the first one i have been on that actually works for me - without totally screwing up your system. If you are unhappy with side effects of your current meds though, i would talk to your Dr. - maybe you can get something else... Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 06:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-Induction (again!)
Stats: 320/256/180
BF:no/frickin'/idea
Progress: 46%

I went through a series of SSRI's for anxiety disorder, and they all had nasty side effects. Then I met a particularly broad-minded doctor who put me on the following:
3 pills daily of St John's Wort, label must say "standardized extract", each pill must be 300mg.
(This is, of course, OTC)

I'm glad to say ALL of my weight loss has been since I started the St John's Wort, and there's nothing Mickey-Mouse about the stuff, I am now highly functional. If I run out and forget to buy more for a few days, my DW can tell from my behavior changes within 2 days.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 09:42

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 130/119/110 Female 61
BF:??
Progress: 55%

Thanks! I've been told by others on Remeron to stick it out, as some people said these side effects went away after a while. It has helped tremendously with my panic and anxiety (altho now, on day 6 of no paxil after once again weaning down to 2.5 MG, then off, my anxiety due to withdrawals is pretty high). I don't have the sexual side effects on this drug like I did on paxil thankfully. So now I'm just waiting to see if this hunger/weight gain will go away. If so, I will happily stay on this med, since it's really helpful. And if I can control my weight with the right eating then that will be fine. I have Xanax if I need it for my anxiety, while I'm waiting out the withdrawals of Paxil. Apparently most people have said the worst of it is over in about a week, and that they felt a lot better about a week and a half-two weeks after. I have a friend who did it about as slowly as I did and said it was about 2 weeks. Yuck! I always feel better at night for some reason.