Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 05:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/192/190 Male 71 Inches
BF:25.4/20.2/18.6
Progress: 97%
Question Inches not pounds lost

Hi all,

Well, I am still loosing but the loss has slowed considerably (about 1/2 pound / week). Actually, I am about to start pre-maint phase. I am 9 pounds from my goal of 190 (my wife wants me to stop at 190).

My questions is this. I am not loosing much weight anymore but it appears that I am loosing inches as my clothes are a bit more loose each day. I was supprised to find that a week ago, my size 38 pants were a bit snug and last evening, they fell off. Is this normal to not see a weight loss, but loose inches instead?

Althought I am not a scale watcher it is a bit frustrating to not see the scale move as fast as it did two months ago.

Craig
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 05:47

Plan: BFC
Stats: 182/161/150 Female 5'4"
BF:dont.wanna.know
Progress: 66%

Craig~First let me say CONGRATS on your loss! You've done fantastic!

As far as the scale moving...I wouldn't worry about it. You ARE losing inches and that's a wonderful thing! I've only been at this since March and I've only lost 10 pounds but I've lost 5 inches total and I'm happy about that! HIDE THAT SCALE! Wait a while before you weigh in again. And remember that losing inches is great! So, in answer to your question: yes, losing inches and not "numbers on the scale" is normal!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 05:52
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Totally normal! I lose weight OR inches but not both at the same time. At this point, I would rather lose inches. If you work out, the scale is pretty irrelevant. It doesn't reflect increased muscle tone or loss of body fat. I am a huge fan of the tape measure.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 06:01
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

And once the inches start to slow down the scale will catch up the the loss!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 07:13

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 53%

If you are working out, you are increasing muscle mass and your weight may not change. Also, your muscles will retain water when you work out as they recover. Your body is becoming more defined. You are definitely burning fat, so don't be sto concerned about the weight. Weight loss slows down when you get close to your set weight. If you are close to a set point, the weight will come off slowly. Remember, it's just a number.

My goal is to focus on my appearance and not my weight. Heck, I wouldn't care what I weighed if I could wear a size 6!