Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 12:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 276/269/140
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Ketosis strips

Hi I'm kinda new to all this but the Atkins thing does seem to be working. Gotta question about those ketosis strips though.

I've been doing the Atkins thing for 18 days now and have lost 7 lbs. Forgot to take measurements but pants are fitting way better. I appear to be loosing inches from my hips and stomach rather than face and breasts as is usual for diets so I'm all happy happy joy joy about that too.

But the Ketosis strips aren't showing a thing! On a good day, in the middle of the night, MAYBE they will show moderate amounts of ketones. Otherwise its trace or negative. Is this bad?

I mean, the diet appears to be working. Probably could lose more if I cut out the bars which I suspect, from reading and personal experience, seem to be slowing me down but they keep ya regular too so they do have their uses. But I thought the strips were sposed to turn purple? Any insight?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 14:08

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

First, testing is best done late afternoon/early evening for most of us. And some of us don't show color on the stix no matter what but are still in ketosis so these stix are not a reliable source of info on whether you are or are not in ketosis and burning fat. Obviously the WOE is working for y ou

I look for other signs - - yucky metalic taste in mouth and/or breath, loss of hunger, stronger smelling urine and of course, my clothes feeling looser.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 21:17

Stats: 000/000/153
BF:2 much for now
Progress: 0%

Dr Atkins said on Larry King that the strips were not necessary. I am not doing them because it is just another thing to fuss and obsess over.....

#4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 02:08

Stats: 161/152/125 Female 64
BF:35/32/18
Progress: 25%
Default If you want to use them, that's fine

The things do go bad, too. You have to be sure to use them within 6 months of opening the bottle, make sure you're within the expiration date, and make sure the bottle is closed tightly. Steam apparently is deadly to the little things.

FWIW