Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-02, 16:27

Plan: adkins/zone
Stats: 243/231/130 Female 5'4"
BF:46/36/26
Progress: 11%
Question help! ??? on potassium

i went to buy potassium and only found potassium gluconate .. is that okay to take and how much do i take??? would just a muti vitamins with minerals do? and should i take calcium and magnese as well..??? thanks for any info...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-02, 18:48

Plan: carbohydrate addict's
Stats: 193/185/155
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default calcium etc.

I have had really bad leg cramps all my life (since puberty, I think, even before) but since I started taking calcium regularly (or when I remember) the cramps have gone. If I remember, I take capsules that have 333 mg. of calcium and 167 mg of magnesium, one twice a day and during PMS week, I double it. It helps with the leg cramps, I seem to sleep better and theoretically, is supposed to help with those insane carb cravings I get during PMS week.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 08:25

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Julie

Potassium gluconate is fine. Any chelated potassium salt will get into your body faster than an ordinary potassium salt. I've seen it recommended that you take around 90 mg a day. My Holland and Barret chelated potassium is 99 mg per tablet. I also take a general multivitamin and mineral which also contains, potassium, calcium, magnesium, etc, etc. The other supplement you may want to take is chromium - often as picolinate - which may help with energy conversion at the cellular level.

I did not take extra potassium until recently when I discovered that it probably the lack of this that was causing me to feel a little faint when at the gym.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 08:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/137/130 Female 65.5
BF:Unknown
Progress: 89%
Cool

Julie,

I live in Florida too and I picked up some chelated calcium at Eckerd pretty cheap. I also take a calcium/mag/zinc supplement I bought there along with my multi. I felt better after I started taking it. Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Betsy
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 08:34

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

The link below came from the "Hot Links!" thread atop the Newbies' Questions forum - it contains a lot of useful information and is worth bookmarking

Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium - Doses and sources

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 06:32

Plan: adkins/zone
Stats: 243/231/130 Female 5'4"
BF:46/36/26
Progress: 11%
Talking thanks soo much

thank you so much everyone.. i appreciate all the info that you have given me. . sorry it took a while to respond in kind.. been a busy couple of days.. i really have gleaned alot of info from everyone and everything here.. again thanks..