Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 13:02

Plan: Atkins (was South Beach
Stats: 195/193/170 Male 5'11"
BF:27/27/20
Progress: 8%
Default What a bunch of losers....

...weight losers, that is! I hope to proudly be one of you, too!

I'm starting Atkins induction again *today* because I've been unimpressed with my latest South Beach attempt. I have lost about 2 lbs, but don't feel much different yet. I hope ketosis arrives quickly--I desperately need the psychological boost of purple!

My main problem seems to be limiting veggie intake: I have a hard time eating a meal of all meat and fat, and quickly get sick of eggs. I always feel the need to mix my meats with veggies of some kind, to mitigate the richness. So I'm worried that I'm stalling myself with them. I'm talking about the good veggies, like lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, greens, etc.

My other problem is coffee: I'm too addicted to go cold-turkey, so I'm mixing half regular and half decaf, but still only drinking the same usual amount. Hopefully that will help me wean myself from it. Suffering through cold-turkey just isn't an option I'm willing to consider as a full-time student, part-time employee....no time for the headaches and grumpy lethargy!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 13:16
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I actually never gave up coffee and did just fine. It is one of those things that can affect some people and not others. Experiment and see what happens.

As far as the veggies go-I did not gain all my weight because I ate too many veggies! Probably had more to do with the french fries, bread, pizza, potato chips, bread, and bread. If you are going to go a little over on the broccoli, I don't really see that as a huge problem.

Welcome!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 14:19

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

I have my coffee every morning!
BTW- Welcome aboard
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 18:53
Anyone?? Bueller?

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

I never gave up my coffee either... <shhhhhh>
Best of luck to you!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 21:12

Plan: Low Carb - My Way!
Stats: 261/177/125 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Welcome Phoenix!

I reduced my coffee intake greatly, but haven't given it up. I'm not going to worry about it until I see a need to. I've lost 23 lbs in 4 weeks, I don't see anything that needs fixing!

Hang in there, you're gonna love it here!

Pam
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 23:06
Registered Member

Stats: 390/330/140 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi Phoenix, welcome to the board! Don't worry about getting bored eating ATkins. There are alot of great recipes out there. There are wonderful recipes here on this board too. I eat alot of meat and green veggies and limit myself on stuff like califlower, squash and such. And occasionally I treat myself to strawberries or Canteloupe (1 cup). I have learned to cook a completely new way. Even my family loves the way I cook now although I still make them starchy veggies and pasta just for them . Take care and I look forward to seeing your posts. Tammy
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 06:24
Contributing Member

Stats: 259/190/135 Female 5'5
BF:OMG Too Much
Progress: 56%

Welcome!
I reduced my coffee to one cup per day. Just make sure you are drinking 8-10 8oz glasses of water per day. That makes a big difference. I also eat alot of salads. Not so much the veggies.
Good Luck to you!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 06:39

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

You don't have to have a meal of all meat and fat. You NEED your veggies or you are going to have serious bathroom problems. I eat lots of veggies, I just eliminate the starchy ones. There are two huge lists of veggies in the Induction chapter of Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. You are SUPPOSED to eat your veggies, they are important to your overall nutrition and health. Why don't you review those lists again. You will find lots and lots of veggies you can eat in the induction phase, then you add more as you go through ongoing weight loss. It wasn't the good veggies that made us overweight and unhealthy - it was the pasta, potatoe chips, pretzels, ice cream - lots of things that we overate in our old way of eating - not the good veggies.

shortstuff
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 06:46

Stats: 250/130/150 Female 5' 1"
BF:Not anymore!
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix606
I always feel the need to mix my meats with veggies of some kind, to mitigate the richness. So I'm worried that I'm stalling myself with them. I'm talking about the good veggies, like lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, greens, etc.

I have a meat+veggies stir-fry every other night, and my veggie portions have increased as I move farther into OWL...I don't thing you have to deny yourself good veggies.