Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 18:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 384/376/285
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default once a month craving

does anyone else experience carb craving during their monthly visitor? It has been horrible the past couple of days. I know that is what it has to be since I have been following the Atkins plan for more than 2 weeksn now and haven't been so tempted as I have the last couple of days.

What will help out with this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 19:04

Stats: 283/268/160
BF:
Progress: 12%
Unhappy Em

I started a week after my "visitor" left. I am a little concerned about this situation myself. I usually crave salty and sweet before it starts.

Any thoughts/suggestions from the more experienced LC'ers? It would be nice to be proactive on this issue.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 21:38

Plan: bfl
Stats: 180/185/150
BF:
Progress: -17%

I have this problem for about two weeks before my TOM hits. Until recently, the cravings have been pretty bad, but I stuck it out and got through them. I have noticed now that the cravings are not so bad as they were when I first started LC, and a light protien snack usually takes care of things for me...and a LOT of water!!
If you crave salty or crunchy, try fried pork rinds. I have no suggestions for sweet snacks, since atkins and other low carb bars seem to have tons of hidden carbs stashed away in them. I guess my one sin is that I drink coffee sweetened with equal (it doesn't seem to effect my ketosis at all) and a flavored coffee creamer (not too much because of all the carbs in it). It takes care of some of the sweet cravings and feels like a treat.

Just stay strong and the cravings will ease up eventually at that TOM
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 16:22
Registered Member

Stats: 384/376/285
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Thanks for the reply

Guess I just have to quit whinning and stick it out.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 13:41
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 189/160/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default Perseverance during PMS cravings!!!

You know...I'm not sure how I made it through! I began this WOL right smack in the middle of severe PMS. I was soo motivated that I didn't sweat it at all. But the second time around was horrible for me. Here I had lost 10 lbs. in 3 weeks and I was ready to quit. I didn't give up, but I was obsessed with the thought of giving up. I craved warm Mexican sweet bread and Mexican hot chocolate for 4 days, all day! My ultimate comfort food! This is our Saturday morning breakfast. I gave it to my kids and dh, so at least I got to comfort them! I settled for two eggs with cheese! (NOT comforting!) Needless to say, I made it through...After my "visitor" showed up, the cravings left! The best comfort was that I had been at 157.5 for two weeks and the scale finally budged to 156!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 18:12

Stats: 283/268/160
BF:
Progress: 12%
Angry TOM was this week

Just to follow up, my TOM started on Saturday. I got my normal (?) migraine before it started and I was craving sweet and salty. I ate a lot of diet jello and whipped cream as well as pork rinds!

I usually have horrible cramps on days two and three, along with heavy bleeding. I also usually feel really tired and drained. This time, being three weeks on this WOE, I had so much energy this whole week! There MUST be something to this low carb thing.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-02, 01:33

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

I usually get cravings and a real draggy dead on my feet feeling the first day of period .
First month of Atkins i had NO sypmtoms at all, in fact it caught me out for the first time ever I was feeling nothing short of fantastic.
This last month when I was eating quite abit more carbs I did get some cravings. I have not been feeling so good generally either and abit headachy again and 1 real wopper so Im cutting my carbs back again.