Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 17:36
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default Can I borrow some motivation?

I will always be so grateful for finding the atkins wol. However, each time as I've tried to eat lowcarb some odd symptom would pop up, I ended up learning that I had a number of minor disorders. They have all been dealt with and I feel better than ever. I eat lowercarb and am proud that I managed to make it through a high-dose steriod treatment without gaining weight.

I also injured my spine in May and just got the go ahead to start walking. But I've lost my spark. Most of the time I eat almost lowcarb, like 50 carbs or so.
Anyone have any ideas? How do I challenge myself to get off my butt. I guess I hit so many obstacles I started thinking the weight loss wasn't gonna happen for me. I don't know how to get my mind enthused about this AGAIN.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 19:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 231/191/150 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Hello Nawchem

I get my motivation by logging into this forum a few times a day. Even if I fall off the Atkins wagon, I can get right back on by reading a few posts. I always seem to stumble onto a message from someone that seems made for me. I just had spinal surgery and had a rough few weeks with eating. Not too terrible but bad enough. I am back on track now and just beginning to exercise a bit so I know how you feel. It can be overwhelming when health problems continue to crop up, but if you can get control over the eating, I guarantee that will be priceless for you. Good luck and keep coming back!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 20:23

Plan: Atkins- OWL/Pre-M
Stats: 165/144/140 Female 70 inches (5' 10")
BF:30%/19.28%/19%?
Progress: 84%

nawchem,
You can do it. I understand how difficult it can be to get that first motivation up. About this time last year I was in so much pain and undergoing medical treatments. When things finally got bad enough I agreed to a surgery I had been putting off for over 5 years. By that time I was only able to sit, stand, or walk for about 5 minutes max. I spent most of my time lying on my side with my knee bend (pregnancy style). Once I had the surgery I had to spend 6 weeks recuperating. All during recuperation period I kept telling myself that as soon as I got the go ahead I'd get up and workout. Well it wasn't that easy. I had the thought but not the motivation.

Here's how I was finally able to approach it. In very small steps. 5 minutes on the treadmill. I promised myself just 5 minutes a day. I marked on the calendar the start day and made a special mark at the 1 week point and in big letters wrote 10. That was the day I promised myself to start 10 minutes a day.

One thing that happens is once you start it is easy to keep going. Tell yourself that all you have to do is start and your motor will kick in and do the mental work for you. Once you're up to 10 minutes you won't believe how good it starts to feel. Just do it. Remember it is only the starting it that takes a little work. I began by walking first thing in the morning when I was less likely to talk myself out of it and before my brain was awake enough to put up too much of a fight.

Once it becomes a part of your regular schedule it becomes habit ... just like brushing your teeth or going to your computer. All you have to do is take that first step and the rest follow almost on their own. It's like magic.

If you have something to do while walking (I listen to music or talk radio) it will make the time go in a blink and you'll hardly realize that you're "working".

And don't forget why you are doing it. You are doing it FOR YOU. Because you're worth it <insert Loreal commercial here>. You'll feel and look better and it will be good for you mentally (great to elevate mood and relieve stress) and physically. Do it because you really care about yourself/ You deserve it.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 01:29

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Nawchem

Great to read that you have conquered those medical battles. Well done.

Now if you can do that you can do the same with your low carb battle. Like others I find that coming here and giving advice to others motivates me to keep going. I have also learnt that if I do not do a reasonable amount of exercise then I will not lose weight. So the two need to be combined together.

You can do it, but you need to want to focus on that goal and work towards it. I hope that you soon get your motivation for this way of life back and the pounds start to drop off.

Every success.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 17:20
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

thank you all for your kind responses, it brought tears to my eyes reading them. I know you all are right- this site is a great place to come for motivation and that I just need to jump on the wagon and do it.

Lori I loved your idea about just starting with 5 minutes, I mean I know I can do that even though I am in bad shape now.

thanks so much!