Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 20:51
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%
Default yogurt questions

yoplait has a new LC yogurt. anyone seen this, or tried it? it has 8g of carbs..what a joke. I'd rather have real yogurt for that many carbs.

BTW i had greek yogurt today. i found it at Harry's Farmer's Market. It was AMAZING! I love it. Now, I have a question about it. Does anyone here subtract any carbs if you believe the "yogurt theory"? The label for the fat free had 6g of carbs and the full fat kind had 8g. I had the fat free and it was actually very good. If I could count less carbs for it, that would be great. I also found a Kefir drink that had 6g of carbs. It looked neat. I am at 25g to 30g a day so I feel like 6g isn't a lot of carbs to squeeze in my day as long as I keep it lower for my other meals.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 00:05
Former Couch Potato

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

I started eating .5 cup plain full fat or 2% yogurt daily in about week 3. At first I wanted so much to believe the lower carb theory. But the more reading I did, the less plausible this "exception" seemed. So I now count the full amount. But it has never slowed me down at all, and I think it actually helps me lose. There's an article on the Atkins site about how calcium contributes to weight loss.

I don't eat any of the flavoured yogurts at all, as I try to avoid sweetner except in my daily non-negotiable coffee.

I add a handful of frozen strawberries or raspberries and 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder and it makes a great smoothie for breakfast.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 09:00
Fu Fu Kitty

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/236/175 Female 5' 5.5
BF:
Progress: 39%

I started making my own yogurt using Hood's low carb milk. I figure that 1 cup is 3 grams of carbs. I haven't tried this yet, but next time I'll try half Hood's and half heavy cream to make it even lower in carbs. I'm not sure it's any cheaper to make your own but at least you know what's in it. Plus it's plain so you can do many things with it, flavor it with whatever you want, even make yogurt cheese. Sometimes I use yogurt with some frozen strawberries to make a smoothie with. I also put some in a bowl and I throw in some vanilla and sweetner, put some whipped cream on top and sprinkle it with a little cinnamon for a dessert. Yogurt is very healthy for the diggestive system and it helps keep away yeast infections. Of course it's a good source of calcium and a welcome alternative to bacon and eggs for breakfast. You can find recipes on how to make yogurt on the internet and you don't need to buy a yogurt maker. Although a regular yogurt maker would make it easier and I've seen them on eBay at pretty reasonable prices.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 09:29
overeasy

Plan: No grains/sugar/alcohol
Stats: 221/175.4/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I eat the Blue Bunny Carb Freedom yogurt in vanilla that has 5g carbs per serving. I had been eating the Blue Bunny Lite85 since moving into OWL, and now that they have have yogurt specifically for LC'ers, I buy that instead. I love it!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 10:41

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

I tend to flip back and forth between the low carb varieties and the plain organic yogurt depending on whether I have the carbs to spare or not for the day. As for the yogurt theory... unless it's fiber I don't subtract it.

Jenn
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 04:03

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%

With regard to the Yoghurt Theory, you may find this thread helpful:

The Truth about carbs in YOGHURT