Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 08:11
Pending Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 125/125/101 Female 152cm
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Induction

Juz haf a few questions abt induction that i hope to clarify:

What's the diff between heavy cream n whipping cream? I cant seem to find any heavy cream so i bought whipping cream whose ingredient only lists "cream" and there's no nutritional label. The alternative to this was one which list hydrogenated something as its ingredient so i chose this instead. Can i use this in recipes requiring heavy cream? If so, i simply pour and measure the liquid cream is it? For recipes requiring say 1 oz whipped cream, do i measure the 1 oz liquid cream and whip it or is it 1 oz whipped cream?

Can i take salsa sauce while on induction. It the low fat version as this contains fewer carbs per serving as compared to the normal one. Sugar is in the ingredient list but very far down, after salt, and per oz, it contains:

Carb - Total 1.6g
Sugars 1.2g
Dietary fibre 0.6g

The way its listed is a little diff as normally fibre is included in total carb count. So in this case it is shown separately is it? Why is it that sometimes a food has more fibre content then its carb content?

Lastly, there are two views regarding calories. Some say not to worry abt calories but some say 10-12x weight. Following the second view, i shld consume 1110-1332 cals a day. But i usually am comfortable consuming 1500 - 1600 cal a day. So shld i try to restrict myself to below 1332 cals? If i do not, then will eating more cal than my requirement of 1332cal slow my weight loss or have any other effects?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 10:16

Stats: 210+/188/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 89%

Hello =)

Yes heavy cream and whipping cream are the same thing. And I think they mean 1 oz. liquid cream in recipes.

Yes you can have salsa. Just in moderation because it's usually 2 carbs/serving or so. Just make sure they don't add sugar.

Not too sure about your other questions. But they do say whatever works for you as far as calories. If you are hungry, eat. If you don't your body will hold on to the fat. I eat anywhere from 9-13X or so my body weight. Depends on the day. You need at least 1500 I believe someone said. But wait until someone more qualified answers that question. =)

Good luck and take care.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 12:11

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi Baby.......

I'd like to first suggest that you consider starting a journal. You could ask your questions there and then have a complete record of the information you get back. To learn how to start a journal, go here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/announce...?s=&forumid=110

Atkins (whose plan you say you are following) recommends that you eat when you are hungry and eat until you are satisfied, not eating until you are 'stuffed'. He also recommends eating frequent small meals.

I have the theory that the more you can eat and LOSE weight, the more you will be able to eat to maintain. So......it's best to eat well and eat regularly, to keep your metabolism active. Beyond that, you will need to experiment with quantities of food and calories to reach your own optimum level. 10-12X is a general rule of thumb and a good place to start.

Marlaine
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 22:17
Pending Member

Stats: 125/125/101 Female 152cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi hymntonink , the salsa sauce's ingredient lists sugar but very far down the list. See my other post titled "salsa sauce".

However, the carb, protein and fat count dun total up and tally to its cal count? So im not sure if there're hidden carbs or wat..