Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 10:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 177/177/130
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile 4th day LC'ing...

Hello Everyone,
I am on my 4th day of LCing (Atkins)and am finding it easier as the days pass. I have had this craving for girl scout cookies though (or any cookie for that matter)! What is a good "desert" to eat during induction?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 10:50

Stats: 215/180/155 Female 5'4"
BF:57.2%/45%/25%
Progress: 58%

Hi lsilva:

My suggestion would be during Induction to ONLY eat what the book says. Two weeks is NOT a long time and it will be over before you know it. Then, you can explore all the recipes there are on this Forum or maybe make up some of your own. You need to just hang around a bit, look at other peoples FitDay (where you record your food) and their journals. This is an individual journey but there are lots of us out there that want to help you along the way. BTW, in most people that sweet craving goes away. I do have a recipe I can share with you that will help a sweet craving and it is called Ricotta Pie and oh so easy to make:

Ricotta Pie

1 carton of whole mild ricotta
sugar free syrup

Take carton of ricotta and spread it around a 9 inch pie plate. Drizzle sugar free syrup all over the top. Bake in 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes. Let cool and slice into 8 pieces. Refrigerate the remainder. Per slice - Calories - 140; Fat - 11grams; Carbs 3grams; Protein 8grams

You can add anything else you like to sweeten it up but I liked it just as it was

Mock Danish.......1 serving
2 oz chream cheese (soften in microwave)
1 egg
1 Tbsp Splenda
1 tsp lemon concentrate (I use lemon flavoring)
1/2 tsp vanilla flavoring

Mix softened cream cheese and egg. Add remaining ingredients. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.

Stats for one serving:
Calories: 167.76
Calories from Fat: 117
Total Fat: 13 g 20%
Total Sodium: 210 mg 9%
Total Potassium: 170 mg 5%
Total Carbs: 4 gm 1%
Total Fiber: 0
Total Protein: 11.43gm 23%

Hope these help your sweet tooth.

Rose
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 11:05

Stats: 177/177/130
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking Coffee & Splenda...

Thank You!

Those receipes sound great, but I think I will try and stick to just whats listed as acceptable foods. I will look at the fitdays to get some ideas on stuff I can eat. I do have 2 questions though. I bought general foods international coffee (sugar free, fat free & "naturally decaffineated") It says it has 5g's of carbs perserving & contains "Aspertame". Can I drink that? Also can i drink flavored seltzers with Aspertame? I tried finding ones with "Splenda" but have had no success yet.....
Thanks!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 13:15

Stats: 215/180/155 Female 5'4"
BF:57.2%/45%/25%
Progress: 58%

Hi lsilva:

To quote Dr. Atkins - "We discourage the use of aspartame (marketed as NutraSweet and Equal) and such sweeteners ending in the suffix 'ose', such as maltose, fructose, etc." But, this is entirely up to you.

As for the International decaf....5 grams of carb per serving is a lot of carbs when you only get 20 per day. I would wait on that and just drink regular ground decaf (approx. 1 carb per cup). Try and stick to things that are pure and not manufactured so to speak.

Hope that helps and it is only my opinion. Someone else might say something different.

Rose

BTW - I meant for those recipes to be used after Induction
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 13:35
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Hi there,

I'm almost finished Induction. Tomorrow is day 14. (Though I will likely continue a while longer).

I read advice from others on the board that artificial sweeteners and things like the Atkins bars and shakes could interfere with weight loss in some people. So I've stuck religiously to the foods listed for Induction with no goodies -- and I'm down 14.5 lbs!

Keep in mind not everyone is the same and weight loss varies from person to person. But I do chalk up at least part of my success from not being tempted to try those things

Also remember, you're trying to establish new eating habits. I've enjoyed rediscovering some foods I haven't tried for a while, and also trying foods that are new to me (who knew Kale was so good?). I'm really trying to avoid processed foods and stick with natural stuff.

It's proven surprisingly easy. I haven't felt deprived at all. And have had almost no cravings.

Stick with it - you'll be glad you did.

Good luck reaching your goals!

K.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 11:27

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Talking Induction

I agree with most all the advice-anything with 5 carbs in it is not a good idea on induction. I have added some sugar-free Jello-it has no carbs, and 10 calories-hits the sweet spot! Other tricks I use for sweet cravings: take and Atkins Advantage bar and eat a SMALL slice-ooh, nothing like chocolate! As for Aspartame, I switched to Sweet n Low for my herbal decaf tea. You can also drink a small glass of Tomato juice anytime-it's 25 calories, allowed on induction, and makes you forget about sweet tastes, at least for a while!

Good Luck-it's worth it!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 02:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 487/449/199
BF:100%...LOL
Progress: 13%
Thumbs up

Great JOB sticking it out!!! For sweetners I use SPLENDA is tastes wonderful and has no after taste!!! Keep up the good work and I want to try that mock danish...