Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 12:36
Reinventing Myself

Plan: Doctor's Plan
Stats: */*/* Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Want To Add Some Extra Exercises

Hi All-

I am looking for an "expert" opinion. Right now I go to Curves regularly (4 - 6x a week). I want to start adding in some exercises at home because, while I am definitely seeing progress, AND losing inches, I want to do some extra work on my "batwings" on my arms, my butt, and tummy. While I am losing in my tummy...I feel like it is getting flabbier and want to start tightening things up more everywhere.

Can anyone reccommend a "mini" routine or exercises for these three spots, or direct me somewhere where I can find some, or give me advice on my idea to add the extra lifting in? I have a bench and dumbells at home because I did BFL at one time.

Thank you for your help!

~Michelle
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 13:35
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I am a big proponent of the Firm tapes - they will show you good form. Denise Austin also has put out some good tapes (10 minute Arms & Bust). They work for me!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 14:05

Plan: SPII
Stats: 50/35/01 Female 5"9"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Tummy: Go to www.T-tapp.com and print out the free exercises for flat stomach (organs in place and half frog)

Butt: Same site, print out Diva Derriere - also free - BTW if you are doing it right your butt WILL cramp. If your butt doesn't cramp then you are either a GOD or you've got to check your form.

Arms: Tricep kickbacks with 5 to 8 lbs. The weight should be fairly light so you can concentrate on form. Really contract as you go back and don't let your arm relax completely at the bottom, try to hold some tension. Keep your upper arm pressed against your body. Don't let it flop around and hold your elbow still. The key to bicep and tricep work is keep the elbow in place which you can force by holding the arm tight against the body. I see a lot of people moving their elbows in these exercises, but it defeats the purpose which is to isolate the bicep or tricep muscle.

I just got some T-Tapp tapes and haven't really done them enough to have an opinion of them yet. But the freebies are the real deal and your shape will change if you hold form and do them regularly.

I also brush my skin with a natural bristle brush. Can't tell too much difference yet, but it feels good so I keep doing it. I figure I won't really notice until it's a huge difference, anyway, but other people (like DH) might.

P.S. Follow the link for "Try before you buy" to get to the free exercises.

Nina

Last edited by NinaJean : Mon, Oct-13-03 at 14:08.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 17:57
Reinventing Myself

BF:

Thanks guys!

Iowa girl...I am looking for more independent stuff rather than a video...just because i can adapt it to the amount of time I have...

Nina...I am going to check ttapp out...I know you love it!! I bookmarked the site...now to find time to go back and look at it!

Anyone else?

~Michelle
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 07:13
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

Triceps: do "dips" on a chair or couch. Sit on a chair and put the heels of your hands on the edge. Now support your weight and take your butt of the chair, lower your weight down and up. The more you progress the further away you hold your body from the chair.
Tummy: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/meriam/

Butt: LUNGES LUNGES LUNGES OMG they're the best butt "shaper" out there whether you want to lift a saggy butt or build up and round out a flatt butt My butt is proof! Walking lunges, lunges with weights or a weighted backpack and lunges uphill. If you want to supplement then do sprints up stairs.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 07:20

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

Triceps: Push ups (OK, you can do the girlie knees-down version if you have to) with your hands a little closer than shoulder width apart ... do as many as you can until failure ... THEN go right into a set of dips (see Meg S. post above) until failure ... THEN do a set of kickbacks (see Nina's post above) until failure.

One or two times through with that should do ya. If your arms aren't shaking when you are done, do another set.

Butt ... Lunges and step-ups. And do any cardio on a machine (treadmill or elliptical) on a steep incline.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 09:05
Reinventing Myself

BF:

Thanks Meg and Dan-

I am going to come up with a workable plan in the next week or so...I will come back and post it if you would all like to give your opinion...I would appreciate it.

Thanks so much!
~Michelle