Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 18:15

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%
Default Trader Joe's

Hello all!

We are making a small trek to a trader joe's tomorrow morning (we don't get to go very often!!) and I was wondering what sorts of low carb items I should be on the lookout for or anything else anyone has seen there that will be great on this plan.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 18:24

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

I don't know if all TJ's are alike, but I was at TJ today in Tucson and they have really expanded their LC offerings. The flyer is advertising LC breads (cheddar garlic and cinnamon walnut, and regular), LC raviolis (5 net per serving - I think 1 cup), and reduced carb treats like brownie mix (10 c per brownie), tortilla chips and cheese puffs, waffles, and Luna LC bars. Pretty cool!

I usually stock up on LaTortilla and Bella Vita pasta sauce (they make LC pasta too). I find TJ's heavy cream to be cheaper than anywhere else and has fewer strange additives.

oh, thay are also advertising a few LC beers, haven't tried them yet, I'd love to hear about it if anyone has though!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 19:05

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

The Trader Joe's I shop at has two items I really rely on. Although they are not ultra low-carb, they work really well for me on the low-insulin (moderate carb/high protein) plan

One is the Zen Bakery Cranberry Apple Fiber Cake. One serving is only 80 calories and 9 net carbs with 5 grams of protein.

The other is their Greek Yogurt. The 2% yogurt has 16 grams of protein, 8 carbs, 4 fat. I mix it with a little Splenda and unsweetened, frozen cherries.

Both are very filling.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 19:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 345/222/215 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 95%

They also mentioned in their new ad(which I got today) that they had a microbrewery brew a low carb beer for them called Coastal Light Lager/Pale Ale.. I'm always on the look out for decent beer, so I'd give it a try.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 19:22

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%

Trader Joes around here are very different... They don't carry alcohol, and a very limited LC product line... The pasta they are always sold out of and Think Thin LC bars. The alcohol is probably due to PA's backwards liquor laws, but their DE store is the same.

--nw
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 20:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Mine has low carb milk, low carb chocolate chip cookies, lowcarb bars and shakes, stevia, coconut oil, lowcarb bread and tortillas.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 23:45
Smilie Queen

Plan: Atkins/SB
Stats: 140/128.5/? Female 5'5"
BF:33%/27/22%
Progress: 60%

Look for the nitrate-free smoked chicken breasts.... they're sooooo good. Agree with Nelson on the Greek yogurt. I have tried the low carb beer, I think it's a little higher in carbs than Michelob Ultra, which I think is better.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 18:30

Plan: ??
Stats: 135/???/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

I like to buy their frozen, ready cooked shrimp for stirfries. They also have a packages shrimp stirfry that I like. I buy veggie burgers there that I love..tomato basil pizza flavor. Only 4 net carbs. I tried the cheddar garlic LC bread...it's yuck. Don't get it! They also have LC pasta and sauce and candies. Have fun!

--Cindy
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 00:01

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Thanks for all the great suggestions!! We went there today and it was closer than we expected so we will be back soon. Found lots of great stuff, can't wait to try it all out!

#10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 01:06

Plan: Syndrome X
Stats: 254/218/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default TJs

My TJs has LOTS of LC stuff. They've been increasing their selection LC stuff rapidly. You DO have to be careful, though. They seem to have a lot of items that are probably good for maintenance, but not for OWL or esepcially induction. Here are some of the good ones:

Cereal - They have their own Apple Cinnamon and the Hi-Lo cereals. They are in the 7-12g range and taste pretty good.

Milk - They just started carrying the Hood LC Countdown milk in 2%. Its a little cheaper than the supermarket, but still expensive ($3 for half gallon)

Cheese Puffs - These are awesome little snacks, but 7g per serving, so definitely maintenance

Flax/Soy Tortilla Chips - I think these are 7g, but they are also pretty high in fiber. They have a real tortilla chip taste, not the soy taste a lot of the others have.

Cookies - The labeling is a little sketchy, so only for maintenance...but they taste really good.

Frozen Waffles - They have multi-grain and blueberry. These are also maintenance fare...I think 9-12g each

Bars - They have a lot of brands including Atkins and Cliff's "Glow"

There's lots more, but any of these items have been reviewed by others, so I won't repeat.

Brian
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 13:46

Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%

I buy my nuts and almond meal or hazel nut meal at TJs. Another thing I buy is my vannilla extract. They have one without added sugar or alchol. I wish my local one sold more lc breads. The one they have is terriable.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 16:56
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Oh, those low carb waffles! Topped with a quarter cup of their blueberries--yum yum! And their full fat cottage cheese is divine.

Does your branch have the chicken sausage with feta and spinahc? Those are great, too. I also love the Tortilla chips with flax and soy.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 17:28
California Dreamin

Stats: 230/150/150 Female 5'8"
BF:too/darn/much
Progress: 100%

Well, you all sure convinced me to go check out my closest TJ's!!! Sounds like they have great things..
I'm leaving right now!! LOL
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 21:53

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyr
I buy my nuts and almond meal or hazel nut meal at TJs. Another thing I buy is my vannilla extract. They have one without added sugar or alchol. I wish my local one sold more lc breads. The one they have is terriable.

What's almond meal and hazel nut meal?-- sounds good!

ooh, and what's a chicken sausage with feta and spinach?... also sounds yummy!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 15:25

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 200/172/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustycat
What's almond meal and hazel nut meal?-- sounds good!

Almond meal and hazelnut meal - Finely ground almonds or hazelnuts with the consistency of flour. I've used these nut meals to coat and fry chicken and have had very good results! My family prefers the almond meal to the hazelnut meal, though.