Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 00:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 332/308/180 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Finding motivation

Last fall, I had lost down to 273. Since then, my weight has crept back up to 285. Since then, I seem to have lost all ambition and drive to lose.

I've been working the usual 40 hrs at my day job...and in the evenings when I come home, I'm working to try to get everything together to start a small business venture of my own. The mindless eating while I'm buried in paperwork and product testing is what has packed on the pounds again.

A online friend (business owner who gives great advice) and I were chatting on Friday, and he said something that gave me my wakeup call again. He reminded me that as a business owner, everywhere you go, you're representing your company. It doesn't matter if it's going to church or the supermarket, you're still the owner/CEO/salesman...and as such, you are representing your company to the world.

During the months of struggles with the paperwork, I'd lost sight of that. I don't know this man in real life. Neither knows what the other looks like. Yet, his astute reminder has motivated me all over again.

What has kicked you in the pants and made you start over when you've gotten off track?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 00:43

Stats: 296/258/136 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:Lots, definately
Progress: 24%

Hi Kris S!

My motivation to begin this WOL is having a baby =) and hearing my biological clock ticking rather loudly, realizing if we wanted to start our family, we had better make some changes IMMEDIATELY. My hubby and I are doing this together, which has been awesome! I do know what you mean though about how easy it is mindlessly eat when you have a lot going on in your life! One of the most wonderful things I have found about this WOL is that I feel like I finally have control over that part of my life (i.e. the food beast). I am only 10% into my goal, but already feel 100% better!

Welcome , and GL with the new business venture !

~ Lori
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 05:13

Plan: My own
Stats: 322/277/175 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 31%

I'm happy you found your motivation again Kris

My motivation is wanting to live and be able to stay mobile. I have much better pain management and mobility when I exercise and much better blood sugar control when I eat low carb.

Mary
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 05:50
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris S
What has kicked you in the pants and made you start over when you've gotten off track?

I get rid of anything that is now too big for me. I am ruthless about it. As soon as I shrink out of a piece of clothing it goes into the give-away bag or it goes into the rubbish bin, and out of the house. So if I gain back any significant amount, I will literally have nothing to wear. If I eat the wrong stuff and bloat up, or goddess forbid if I start putting on fat, and I feel a tight waistband coming on, I am right back on track.

Another trick I used when I went on vacation recently, was to leave my loosest jeans at home. I took one pair that fit perfectly, and one pair that was even a little bit tight (I didn't wear the tight ones on the transatlantic flight ). I gave myself no "wiggle room," so to speak. I was very surprised at how that little trick caused me to make much better food choices than I otherwise would have. I was weighing my desire for Krispy Kreme, Taco Bell, overstuffed hero sandwiches and all the other American goodies I've missed since I moved to the UK, against how it would feel to have my waistband chafing against a sweaty fat roll all day long for as many days as it took me to slim down again. I never did get the donut or the Taco Bell. It turned out not to be worth it.

However, I did get proper pizza and proper bourbon. That was worth it and as it turned out, there was very little damage done.

Emily
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 05:58
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

My motivation is also to have another baby. I was extremly overweight with my second one which I believe is the cause of his 5 week early arrival. Luckily he was healthy and after just 8 days of monitoring him at NCU he came home.

I don't want to go through that scare again.

My other motivation is of course, my kids, I want to be able to play around with them without losing my breath and having to sit to regain my strength.

Hang in there, You can do it.

Happy Mother's Day to all!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 06:04

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%

my motivation was my kids too. seeing my 3yr old pick up my discusting eating habits- feeling like crap and barely having the energy to care for the 2 of them.

you're absolutely right about your business- u need to be an ambassador to your company- i truly believe people dont take u seriously when you're overwieight- like how can u be that dedicated enough to take care of business if u can't even take care of yourself, kwim? sad, but true. good luck.