Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 23:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 216/216/165 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress:
Default Ready to start...Big Question

Hi! My name is Kristin and I am ready to get started Low-carbing it......But I am a huge Snapple and Iced Tea addict.

What can I drink other than water??? I have read some posts here and on other pages about Crystal Light. The consensus seems to be that it is not good for using on this diet.

HELP!

Kristin
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 00:10

Plan: no more than 20 gm of carbs/day
Stats: 265/255/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:LOTS!/??/Much less
Progress: 9%

Hi Kristin!
I'm a newbie too, but have been "lurking" & reading the wealth of information on this site for a little over a week---WOW! just about sums it up!
Well, anyway, the consensus does appear to be to try and drink mainly water---we need a TON in order to flush the fat out of our bodies. Diet soda, iced tea, etc. will NOT do the same thing--at least for most people.
I'm just about into my 3rd week of LC'ing & was a HUGE diet mountain dew FREAK--I'm talking about 2-3 Liters/day!!! I thought that I could do this diet & still drink it--after all, no carbs, or calories for that matter. But, I've found if I drink more than 12 oz per day, I will NOT see the scale move!
I really am surprised how much I am beginning to like the taste of water! And, am even more surprised that I didn't go through some kind of "caffeine withdrawl" from not having my "dew". In fact, I've not had the headaches & mood swings that I would often get if I went a few too many hours without my "fix" (of diet mt dew, of course!) Now, I'll "treat" myself with a glass at dinner if my water intake for the day is good. Try that, you'll be surprised, you probably won't miss it as much as you think!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 00:35

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Marylou is definately right about water, water, water!

But caffeine and aspartame are no-nos. They cause insulin surges for a lot of people, thus stalling weight loss and even sparking up cravings. For a fix of a sweet beverage, go with splenda sweetened drinks.

Crystal Light already mixed in the bottle
Diet Rite
Fruit 2 O (Try this stuff, it's really good!)
Diet Snapple (Lime Green Tea flavor only)

Basically try to stick to Splenda (sucralose) flavored products only.

Good luck with induction!

Last edited by Skamito : Sat, Jul-26-03 at 00:36.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 09:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

I've been drinking Diet Arizona Green Tea with Splenda and seeing good weight loss results (and I figure I get the green tea benefits). Does anyone else have experience with this beverage?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 16:25

Plan: CALP/Schwarzbien
Stats: 212.5/192/172.5 Female 5' 8
BF:
Progress: 51%

Welcome Kristin and good luck on your journey! I am sure you will do well and learn alot at this forum. I am a tea drinker too, so here are my thoughts!

I drink alot of decaf tea on this WOE, but I am on Schwarzbein, so can't have any artificial sweetners and use stevia instead.

My latest favorite is Stash tea bags - Decaf Vanilla Nut Creme, Decafe Caramel Creme, Decaf Earl Grey, Decaf Green.

I mix 2 tea bags of vanilla nut, 2 bags of caramel, and 2 bags of green(for extra antioxidants) in a large tea pot. Add a few shakes of stevia for sweetness, and drink this throughout the day. Sometimes I will make another pot later, different flavors for variety. This is sooo much more economical than buying bottled teas, also you can control sweetness by adding whatever sweetner is allowed on your plan. Stash teas have sooo many flavors I never get bored. I have them hot with coconut milk (high in linoic acid) and heavy cream or cold served over ice.

Good luck to you!

deb
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 16:40

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Ooh, Deb that brand of tea sounds great, I will look for it! I don't know that I've ever seen vanilla nut and carmel tea. Sounds good.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 17:03

Plan: CALP/Schwarzbien
Stats: 212.5/192/172.5 Female 5' 8
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi Skamito,

I am in CA and find stash teas at Trader Joes, do you have that store in NY? They have the best price $1.99 for a pack of 18 tea bags. The other grocery stores in my area carry some flavors, not Vanilla Nut Creme or Caramel Creme, and the other stores charge $3.89 or so. Check out the stash tea web site for info on all the flavors they have! Site is expensive but has good info.

deb