Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 19:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Atkins Product Shortage

I just got back from my local grocery store, which is Publix. I have noticed over the past few weeks that they only have a few bars out and are completely out of RTD shakes. So, I decided to talk to the store manager to find out what is going on. Publix use to have tons of shakes and bars.

I spoke with the manager and he said that the problem is that everything is flying off of the shelf. His supplier has told him that there is a shortage of Atkins products. The supplier said that Atkins has sold way more product in the past three months that they are having difficulty in keeping up with the demand. The manager said they have even ordered a special display to put everything out and to add more variety, but they can not use it yet because of the shortage. I also found out (which I had never knew) that Publix carries Atkins bread in the freezer section but they have been out of that for a month and a half!

Now, I wish I had more facts, not like it will make any difference, but I was wondering if anyone out there has noticed a shortage? Walgreens, a block away from Publix, is also out of almost all of the bars. Target has been out as well. I was fearing that all the stores were discontinuing Atkins, but I am relieved to find out different.

So, did anyone hear anything? Let me know. I am curious.

The good news about this is that more people are now following Atkins!

Last edited by theresa113 : Thu, Apr-03-03 at 05:29.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 19:10
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 229/229/160
BF:
Progress: 0%
Cool

Yeah i noticed that too.My local GNC barely has anything.i was looking for about 1 month for the pancake mix and the manager told me that the warehouse ran out of mix,so i found on one site and one site only pancake mix.I got it from the House of nutrition Online.Sad to say after all that looking around I hated the pancakes.They were soooooooooo gross,and the syrup is mothing but water and maple flavoring....yuck
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 19:14

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

You should start seeing more products again soon. According to my local health food store, Atkins Nutritionals has been changing their packaging and labels and so the supply has gotten a bit short until everything has been switched over. I've noticed that they have just gotten a new shipment in this week (new packaging and labels), so you should start seeing more product again in a week or two.
Looks like the word on low carb is getting out.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 20:31

Stats: 213/213/158
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Same here

Chicago, that is. My local store explained the sudden "Atkins" popularity has strained the Atkins suppliers but that a larger facility is coming on line in the next couple of weeks which should help with keeping the stock up. Don't know if this is correct info, but it sounded good to me!
Susan
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 21:30

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%
Progress: 29%

Went to WalMart and my grocery yesterday. WalMart had only a few bars and shakes. At the grocery the baking mixes were all sold out. The health food store I occasionally go to is aften sold out of many items.
I've tried the blueberry muffin mix and the pancakes. Find that the muffins are barely edible and i agree with Chenise. The pancakes are gross. I'd rather do without.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 07:29

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I've been reading that in addition to the new packaging, they are also changing the way the products were made. For example...a muffin that had 3 carbs per serving previously now has 8 carbs and makes less muffins (11 instead of 18 I believe someone said).

I would never buy anything that had 8 carbs in it, so please someone say it isn't so!

L
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 10:18

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Smile

Yes, Atkins is re-packaging all their items and you should start to see things return shortly. I also think with the popularity of low-carbing in the media and such, more and more people are trying the WOE.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 10:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/189/140
BF:
Progress: 18%

I have looked in my local WalMart and they are always out of Atkins products. However...there is a Health & Nutrition Store across the street that always has plenty of stock.
Prices are a little higher I am sure...but I have been getting shakes there and they are $6.99 4/pk vs $7.39 4/pk at Walmart!!!
They have a great slection including al of the baking mixes, breads, syrups, bars, candy, shakes...you name it.
Anyone get's REAL desperate...let me know...I'll send you some!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 12:39

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally posted by whyspers
I've been reading that in addition to the new packaging, they are also changing the way the products were made. For example...a muffin that had 3 carbs per serving previously now has 8 carbs and makes less muffins (11 instead of 18 I believe someone said).

I would never buy anything that had 8 carbs in it, so please someone say it isn't so!

It's the same amount of mix as before but if you were to take that mix and make 12 muffins instead of 18, that would increase the total carb count per muffin. For example, if 18 muffins are 3 grams each that's 54 grams for the whole batch. Now you make 12 muffins at 4.5 grams each, that's till 54 grams for the whole batch. It's all in the portion sizes. I noticed the same thing with the brownie mix that I bought.
This is just my opinion, but the higher carb counts in the new stuff, even if it's only because the portion sizes are bigger, may be a subtle hint on their part that these products aren't suitable for induction and the early stages of OWL and should be used only in pre-maintainance and maintainance where your carb allowances are higher and personally I think that's a good idea anyway.