View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 10:15

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

First of all, your post made COMPLETE sense. I can totally understand where you're coming from. It sounds most like you don't want to fail and are reluctant to commit because you know that you really want it. You know, with those qualities, I am confident in your ability to do this. I don't know how you can get over the idea psychologically except to just dive in. Believe it or not, once you start eating low-carb you are likely to be more in tune with your body, including identification of real hunger. And, believe it or NOT, you will probably not want wheat, sugar, and other starchy carbs anymore. If you do slip and eat them, you will really believe in their destructive effects on the system as they tend to cause symptoms such as bloating, sluggishness, etc.

Anyway, I guess what it comes down to is that the best way to psych yourself into this is just to start. I know that's a simplified answer, but if you just clean out your fridge and pantry, take a nice trip around the perimeter of the grocery store, and figure out some meals, you will probably fall right into this. I didn't think of the idea of eating this way the rest of my life beforehand (although I knew that it would be best) but the benefits of low carb have definitely outweighed any fear of missing out.

Not to mention, on maintenance you may have sugar-free chocolate. Oh... and diet Rite is a pretty good Splenda-sweetened soda. You will find there is a lot of satisfaction, even in vices, in eating low carb. You seem very intelligent and I'm sure will be successful. I mean, you've read a lot of LC books, which is an awesome start.

It may help you to start a journal on this site. I know it's helped me to have people check in for support. You can do that by going to the Journal section and starting a new thread in the section that corresponds to your screen name... so yours would be under the letter B.

I wish you much luck!

Best to you.