#4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 02:01
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 305/240/165 Female 66
BF:55%/45%/20%
Progress: 46%

Hi JuneBride,

My advice to you is to RUN AWAY from Depo, don't get it again. Listen to what your body is telling you, it does NOT like what the Depo is doing to you. Don't listen to that doctor, feh, if he was bleeding constantly I bet he'd think something was wrong with him!

It may be that you need to try a BC method that is lower in progesterone. I'm not sure what pills you tried, but there are significant variations out there. Definitely consider finding a new doctor who will work with you on this. I also like the idea of a method that can be stopped immediately (like a patch or a ring, in my case I ended up using condoms).

Okay, at the risk of sounding like a total nut, I have to be honest with you, I have an axe to grind here - I can't begin to tell you how much that !#% shot messed up my health, physically, emotionally, and mentally. I gained 100 pounds in a year, was depressed, couldn't concentrate, was a total mean psycho, had major issues dealing with my education and my job, and almost destroyed my relationship with my long-term BF, among other things. In other words, it nearly killed me. I still think I haven't completely recovered. I was on it for four years.

I hope that you have been lucky and escaped everything but the purely physical side effects (and yes, they sound terrible, and I'm sorry you're suffering). Ask the people in your life if they think your personality has changed at all, and listen to them. I'm not trying to freak you out, but keeping you from getting pregnant is not the only thing the hormones do to you. IMHO that shot is just terrible. It basically throws your body into menopause and chemically castrates you. (I may be exaggerating slightly but not by much!)

Best of luck feeling better and finding bc that works for you!