View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 15:28

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi Wanda, I think Wendy is probably right but I'll give my additional 2 cents for anybody else interested and try to answer your question.

I have posted about Leptin and refeeds a couple other times and in general reply always, could work but its not for me. This is all about weight obscession of course, not about eating healthy.

I have found this low-carb experience fascinating. I would say that I am sugar addict, but not so much anymore. I was a Coke and chocolate bar addict, for our American friends Canada has about 3 times the selection of chocolate bars then the US does and Twinkies don't even have sugar compared to a Joe Louis bar. After 3 months on low-carb none of these things even taste good anymore. When I refeed I drink 2 cans of Coke which is all I can handle. I used to be able to drink 5+ Cokes a day. Now, every Sunday the Cokes taste OK but I'm happy to get back to water, no cravings. Like you I was a afraid of going back to sugar, but I know my weight obsession goes well beyond some sugar craving, now that know about low carbing.

I read about Leptin mostly on body builder web sites after I learned about it here on lowcarb.ca, and searched the web. Body builders are all trying to get below 10% body fat and some do refeeds every other day or even a couple hours every day. Its from them I learned a refeed should be pure carbohydrate if possible, and as low fat as possible. Breakfast cereal fits the bill and the one cereal Atkins makes fun of is perfect, Fruit Loops.
You can search for Leptin at http://www.avantlabs.com or try http://www.theministryoffitness.com/mof/library/articles/article18.htm

You really need to go beyond maintenance for a refeed and not worry about gaining a couple pounds. You could refeed with any high carb food: potatoes, rice, bread, corn, pop corn, pie, cake, breakfast cereal, apples, pears, bananas, fruit juice, raisins, pop corn...

Calorice staggering seems to make alot sense with what I have been experiencing. But it relies on restoring Leptin levels which requires carbohydrates.