Thread: carb blockers
View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 09:26

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 325/283/200
BF:
Progress: 34%

I recently read the book "Living Low Carb." I forget who the author is but she also authored a low carb cookbook. Anyway, she talks about using carb blockers (though she uses their chemical or herbal-extract name rather than a brand name) to help get through occasional times when you may be in a position to have to have carbs, like a vacation in Italy, or that a meal at your boss's hous where the specialty that everyone has to try is a potato dish. She does not advocate using them long term, but suggests that in moderation they can get you out of a sticky situation, and, of course, its not like she was filling up ont he pasta after using these, she was still trying to keep it low-carb, she just needed some insurance.

I don't think I would use any carb-blocker that is advertised as a weight reduction method. There is probably more than just the carb-blocker in there, probably some form of ephedera.

I have also heard the "the ultimate carb, beer!" commercial. Having never been much of a drinker, I find no appeal in this "miracle" cure.