View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 21:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/295/180 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Jolly Rancher SF jello

I tried the strawberry and the green apple and I didn't really care for it. If you love Jolly Rancher candies you might like the jello, although I usually like the candies. The jello is really eye-poppingly tart--a real burst of flavor. I prefer the name-brand jello sweetened with aspartame (tsk, tsk). Maybe after I've been on the plan longer I will no longer need the aspartame "crutch" but for now I think my health is way better off in the long run if having the aspartame allows me to acheive sustained weight loss.

As I understand it, Dr. Atkins' objection to aspartame is not based on clinical trials or any evidence that it is unsage but rather his observation that weight loss slows for many of his clients while using aspartame. If you're on a plateau, aspartame should be one of the first things you take out.

However, there are many people who believe that aspartame is an evil on the order of...well, I can't think of anything evil enough to compare it to but there are many who believe it causes cancer and other diseases. You can find plenty of rants on the net detailing the evils of aspartame.

Just my 2 cents.