Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 14:45
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 195/131/120
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default Stress strips

Lyndagayle,

When I first started LCing in July 01, I bought a bottle of the ketostix. I think I used that first bottle up in about 3 days!!! There are MANY different reasons they don't get dark purple. As WBAHN says, showing dark purple simply means dehydration. Reasons your ketostix might not change, or change very little: exercise - ketones are being used as you exercise, so they will not pass through your urine stream. Menstrual cycle - for some reason, during my TOM, I show nothing on the Ketostix - not even a trace. Water consumption - if you are drinking all the water you should, this will dilute the ketones being discarded in the urine. There are probably alot of other reasons the sticks don't change that I have not personally encountered (or have, and didn't know it!!).

Bottom line, don't let ketostix become a stressor, rather than a tool. The only time I look at them these days is if I'm leery about a new food (used them with LC bars), or if I'm increasing my carbs for OWL. The best indicators of ketosis are increased energy, decreased hunger, and weight loss (keto-breath, also).

Good luck!
Anna