View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 18:49

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/154/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 89%

Twinmom,

I have tried Atkins, hated it, stopped, started again, then switched to South Beach. I am sure I was in Ketosis during South Beach phase 1. Because on SBD you have a list of allowed foods, and don't count, I think there is a lot of personal variation whether or not you go into ketosis (as there is anyway), and having started with Atkins, I was probably still thinking Atkins style - having omelette with a bit of veggie for breakfast and much chicken and egg with a bit of lettuce for Lunch.

I am sure I was in ketosis early on and am sure not now. Signs? Husband complaining I smell weiredly, and half a glass of red wine knocking me out, some lightheadedness. You can find a lot of Ketosis discussions in the Atkins forum. If you want to be absolutely sure, get those sticks. But if you feel fine, and are eating more veggies than the typical Atkins diet, you should be fine. In phase 2 Aktins folks often are still in ketosis, but if you are having any whole grain cereal or bread or fruit, you can't be in ketosis. Don't worry - if you feel well, you should be fine. If not, you can try to increase healthy carbs.

Team Gal, you may have been in ketosis, but those symptoms can also happen when you don't drink enough, which is easy in the first phases when you need a lot of liquid!