Thread: Nuts
View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 19:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Hi, Tony! Nuts are great in moderation (see my current sig, LOL). However, while they contain plenty of minerals they are no substitute for vegetables, which contain more vitamins than minerals.

I've seen posts on this forum from many, many people who absolutely hated vegetables before but now love them. Try a little bit of something you don't hate, and see how you do with it. Surely there has to be at least one low-carb vegetable that you like (asparagus? green beans? salad? the list goes on and on). Start off with that, and every week try something new. As you say, you're going to do better with food you enjoy--and you'll probably also do better with a more varied diet because you'll likely enjoy it a lot more.

This brings to thought another thing. I've talked to quite a few men who were previously on Atkins. They said they quit because they got tired of eating the same old thing over and over again. Hello? Around this house, the only time we eat the same thing twice in a week is if that's what we really want (like stir-fry or some such). The more different foods you add to your diet, the more variety you'll have.

Oops! I almost forgot! One great way to get used to eating veggies that aren't your favorite thing is to use sauces and dressings (Yeah Dr. Atkins!!). Try asparagus with cheese sauce, broccoli with bleu cheese or an oil and vinegar dressing, green beans with butter, and again the list can just go on and on. We eat broccoli about 6 times a week, and between the combination of things we add it rarely tastes the same way twice.