View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 08:58

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Robin:
Saw your post re: Atkins and meds. I have to choose a lot between taking meds that are likely to delay or disrupt my weight loss or living with whatever symptom or condition they relieve. With the exception of meds truly needed for safety's sake, this is a matter of personal conscience IMO. I don't take the warnings in the Atkins materials terribly seriously because so many of the items that he prohibits or warns people to avoid have had absolutely no effect on my weight loss when I have used them - this has included both foods and meds.

I'm a rarity on LC boards - someone who doesn't think Dr. Atkins is the ultimate authority on LC. I think he deserves a lot of credit for pushing the LC WOEs for so many years in the face of opposition, but I find many of his underlying theories - like 'adding more fat is the way to lose fat', 'ketosis is absolutely necessary for weight loss' and 'calories don't count' - not to be true for me and many others I've come to know on the boards. I also feel his plan has everyone drop carbs to levels that are not necessary for the majority of people to experience the benefits of LC - these very low levels are not a good idea for those with undiagnosed health issues like erratic cardiac rhythm and borderline thyroid disorders to name a few of the most common.

Robin, you've been experiencing regular weight / inch loss while on Vioxx - listen to your body.