#5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 11:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 364/319/165 Female 67 inches
BF:54.2/52/25
Progress: 23%

LC: I checked the website and found the following in the FAQ list:

"Why is caffeine unacceptable in the Atkins Nutritional Approach?

Excess caffeine can drop blood sugar levels and leave you craving sweets. If you're addicted to caffeine, you must give it up. The best way to do this is to segue from the high-octane stuff to decaf by gradually adding decaf to your full-force brew until you are drinking straight decaf, which you can enjoy with cream. Water-processed decaf is preferable because it does not use chemicals, as other decaffeinating processes do."

Seems self defeatist to take Accel when the makers of the product warn you against one of it's ingredients.

Tedmom: I wholeheartedly agree with you, no more for me. I really would like some type of enhancer but when I think of how I felt that day I know this one is a no no.

Oh got this off the Atkins website too:

"The Caffeine Content
The source of caffeine in ephedra weight-loss products is often indicated on the label as kola nut or the herb guarana. In most products the amount of caffeine is generally at least 40 milligrams, or about half the amount of caffeine in a cup of coffee; some supplements contain much more. Caffeine is a stimulant that makes you more alert and active, which in turn can make you burn more calories. However, caffeine temporarily raises your blood pressure, which is undesirable if your pressure is already high. That’s bad enough, but when you read the label on many popular over-the-counter herbal appetite suppressant pills, you’ll find they contain other herbs, such as licorice and yohimbe, which are also well known to raise your blood pressure.

Excessive caffeine also poses a more serious risk for people with impaired glucose tolerance or diabetes: It can cause hypoglycemia. That won’t help your weight-loss effort—in fact, it will hamper it."

Nicckii