#4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 14:35
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/123/125 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 113%
Wink

Don't worry - I did the exact same thing! I ate an 2 bags of whole almonds and about 5 lc chocolate bars - about 3000 calories - I was just sooo hungry - I put on 3lbs the next day but kept very low carb 30-30 grams over the weekend and the weight went right away! My understanding is if you are still in ketosis - the excess fat you eat is wasted (I am quoting the brilliant Doreen T here): "The excess fat you eat is broken down into fatty acids in the bowel, by the action of enzymes and bile. These fatty acids are absorbed into the bloodstream and taken to the liver, where they are further processed into ketones, and into other fatty acid components. Some of the ketones may be used for fuel. Mostly they are excreted in the urine, stool, & breath (via the lungs). The free fatty acid components are also excreted because once fatty acids are broken down into the smaller ketone, acetone and fatty esterols they CANNOT be converted back into fat. Basic biochemistry 101. Withouth insulin, they cannot be forect into storage in the fat cells, so they are elimated. This is what Atkins refers to as the "Metabolic Advantage" I hope Doreen doesn't mind me plagerizing her! But, my basic understanding is, in Ketosis a binge will stall your weight loss - but any gain will be quickly elimenated. I hope this helps! I spent and entire weekend after my binge feeling so guilty and depressed! I thought I'd blown all my hard work! Good luck - hang in there!