View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 14:10
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/Atkins
Stats: 182/165/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 40%

I can sympathize with you about the boredom with salad, but speaking form experience if you stick to bottled dressings you get sick of it all quickly. After a while, the bottled dressing becomes to gooey for me, but I rarely use it anymore since starting on Atkins. I have gone back to basics in using my own home made dressing. I had to improvise on a couple of ingredients. For example :

My favorite vinaingrette consisted of (note : I dont usually measure, I go by taste and add a little of whatever it needs ) :

-1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
-2 tbsp xtra virgin olive oil (the quality DOES make a difference, look for dark coloured glass or metal tin container - good oil has to be protected from light)
-1 tbsp mustard (I like spicy brown or dijon or whole grain)
-1/2 tsp Herbes De Provence (awesome if you can find it !!!Its a mixture of herbs ideal for salads)
-1/2 packet of sweetner (I tested splenda and it was great - I used honey prior to LCing.)
-Salt and pepper

Again, you may need to adjust the amounts, based on your taste and the strength of your vinegar. If its too salty, add a little more oil. Same goes if its too vinegary (sp). The sweetner helps balance everything out.

Another life saver for my salads is home grown Arugula. SO easy to grow and SO tasty. And to alternate for teh dressing, I like to use fresh squeezed lemon instead of the vinegar, 1 TBSP of it. Fresh lemon juice and Arugula go GREAT together. Happy LCing !

Lucky