Thread: new to cycling
View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 11:33

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I am riding for 3 years now, and also started as a commute. Since I am male, I had additional issuse with the seat.

It is very tempting to get a soft and wide seat, but it will not work for rides longet then 15 min.

You need to find a seat that allows you to put you weight on the two "sitting bones", and if the seat is too hard it'll kill ya, and if it is too soft it will do the same, as you will sink into it and it'll block the blood supply..
I test seats by puting my elbow into them and lean hard, and kinda feel it. Also, make sure you get one of those split seats with sppace in the middle that makes sure you do not put your weight on "the middle" instead of the two bones. When I started I didn't think I had "bones" at all (I was 280)...

no matter how good a seat you get it will take a few weeks of riding until you get use to it and it stops hurting. Now I can sit on a bike for 60-70 miles with no pain.. Also, get yourself good riding pants, the type that has a chamoi (sp?) in them to protect from chafing. Again, do not tempt to get the type with Gel, it'll just bunch up and press on places you don't like pressed against (at least not when you ride)...

Have fun.. Riding is the only cardio I enjoy..