Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   why does my weight bounce about so much? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=63647)

lucyr Mon, Sep-30-02 13:12

why does my weight bounce about so much?

I have been eating less and less carb for several months, and have been very low for about 2 months. My ketostix are usuallly purple. So why does my weight bounce up and down by about 4lbs in a day? Don't tell me I shouldn't weigh myself so often! I know I shouldn't.
My only 'cheat' is white wine at weekends. I am going to stop that for a while.
Any ideas? I feel I should be losing more rapidly than I am. It could be coffee, I suppose??
I don't mind so much, becasue I do feel so well, and have so much energy. It all started because I realised that wheat was not right for me..little by little I have stopped all starches and sugars. Then I read Atkins and understood what had been going on, and started being systematic about it.
Sorry this has been so long! first post!!

agonycat Mon, Sep-30-02 13:25

Question.

Did you weigh yourself this much before you started dieting?

The food and water we consume are not weighless. If you eat an 8oz steak guess what? You gain half a pound. Drink 64 oz of water? Add 4 pounds. We ALL gain weight during the day and when our bodies process the foods and water and we take a "nature" call we lose some of the weight.

Pretty normal thing actually. :)

suze_c Mon, Sep-30-02 15:02

weight gain in a day~

lucyr, I know how that scale can bounce up and down thru the day, that is why I am going to rely more on my measurements than on my scales, cuz scale addiction is NOT a good thing... I know, I have been there... weighed myself everytime I went to the bathroom... and then some!
Are you getting enough water? The darker purple color is sometimes an indication that one is not getting enough water. In turn, water helps flush out the system as well, I call the Atkins the PAP diet, the Pee Away the Pounds Diet :lol:
But anyhow, welcome to the forum~ we will help with any questions that we can~ OR direct you somewhere where it is already answered~ Glad to hear that you are feeling better on the w/o/e (way of eating), and glad to have you here~ :wave:

wangeci Mon, Sep-30-02 15:18

I only weigh myself in the morning naked.....that is my official daily weight....I am always at least 4-5 lbs heavier at night before I go to bed...that is normal...Just choose one specific time during the day to weigh and stick to it. Always weigh either naked or with the same clothes on to get an accurate weight.

You must also remember that weight isn't everything, if you haven't already done so I suggest that you measure too.

Cindy

lucyr Tue, Oct-01-02 00:57

Thank you very much everyone for all your good sense.
When I was not overwieght I did not weigh myself, but I have got into vey bad habits on this since putting on so much wieght.

Best Wishes to everyone out there.