Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   You know how Dr. A says to weight on Day 1 and then (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=149053)

Lisa in TX Sat, Nov-15-03 08:00

You know how Dr. A says to weight on Day 1 and then

Day 15 of Induction? Well, I weighed on Day 8 too (down 5.5 lbs), but then got TOM the middle of this week (today is Day 15)...how long should I wait to weigh so I can be sure all the TOM water weight is gone? Is it all gone on your last day of your pd. or does it take a couple days even after that??

I mean...I was hoping to be able to compare what I lost on Induction to the table in the book to see what my metabolic weight loss resistance (or whatever he calls it) was, but I know if I weigh today, it's not going to show any loss from week 1 (and will probably not show any loss at all from when I first started).

Just wondering...

Lisa N Sat, Nov-15-03 09:14

Hi Lisa!

If you started out with 39 pounds to lose and had already lost 5.5 on day 8 of induction, trust me...you're not metabolically reisistant; that's already more than 10% of what you wanted to lose which is about the average weight loss during induction, so you're already ahead of average. :)
As for how long it takes for TOM water retention to go away, that varies from person to person. With me, I typically get my water retention after TOM is done (wierd, I know, but that's my body) and don't lose it for up to a week after. Other people lose their water retention almost as soon as TOM starts and still others take 3-4 days afterwards to get rid of it. What is the typical pattern for your body?
Personally, I'd weigh now and then again in 3-4 days to see if it goes down more and go with that. :)

Lisa in TX Sat, Nov-15-03 10:46

Thanks, Lisa! I weighed this morning, and I'm up to 186...I'm going to assume that's water though and weigh again maybe Monday or Tuesday.

Have a nice Saturday!

(nice name, btw) :-)

ophallon Sat, Nov-15-03 11:22

I am on day 2 of induction, after a long hiatus. Any way, I was thinking of weighing tomorrrow. Should I? I will use the strip to see how I'm doing. I am going all the way this time.

GabrielleG Sat, Nov-15-03 16:09

Hi all for what its worth I'm like Lisa N water weight comes on after TOM and hangs around for 4 or 5 days. I totally don't freak out so I weight in just to see how much water I can gain. its usualy at least 2 pounds.

Gabrielle

LilaCotton Sun, Nov-16-03 01:20

Hi, Lisa! I'm an odd water-weight person, too. I don't get it during TOM, it seems, but when I ovulate!

I tend to weigh frequently (don't think I did this morning, though can't recall for sure) and one of the reasons I do is because then I know when I'm gaining water weight. That way later on as I will tend not to weigh as often, if I see an increase I can say, 'Hey, it's the Chinese food I had last night' or 'Oh yeah! It's that time of the month again!' without throwing myself into a complete frenzy.

I also like to weigh every day because if I've lost something the scales will register, I want to know about it right now, not 3 days down the road! :D

ophallon Sun, Nov-16-03 13:44

Lisa in TX: I know you are right. But ......Anyway, I did weigh this morning; the same. Didn't feel bad because my strip showed pink.

Wenzday Sun, Nov-16-03 21:57

me too when I Ovulate not during TOM... I lose the most weight each month right before and during TOM!